Premed 101 Forums

Interview invite....REALLY!

Guest rb123

Hello all,

I just received a call from admissions and have 2 interviews scheduled for January. I am in SHOCK...my hands are shaking so much that I can barely type! A nice start to Christmas.

Good luck to everyone and happy holidays!!!

Hey rb123, congrats on the interview invite :)

I was just wondering if you're living in BC now (so I have some idea when I might get an interview).

Thanks and have a merry Christmas!! :)

Guest not rex morgan

First of the masses. Good luck. Be yourself. Look at the royal college of physicians and surgeons web page to wrap your head around ethical issues. Check out CNN health. Don't forget to smile.

Congratulations! Don't celebrate yet, though - since you are one of the first interviewees you will be the least prepared (nevertheless it's probably one of the better interview dates because you don't have to juggle studying at the same time)... just keep up with the news and brush up on ethics - and remember to research the school!

www.interviewfeedback.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SPOOK77

Got an interview invite Friday morning. Very excited!! I was shaking so much tried calling my parents and dialed the wrong number. Oops! Didn't realize that it would be so soon~ mid January. May have something to do with the fact that I am applying to the MD/Ph.D. program, though I was told the processes are separate.

Good luck to everyone!

Guest monkey

Congratulations to everyone who got an interview so far! This should have come earlier but I guess the pre-invite jitters is getting to me a little. Good luck to you!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

Congratulations to those of you who have felt a big sense of relief from receiving an interview invite--bravo!! I can sincerely empathize (after doing a wee screaming lap at my place with the cats blinking and staring in amazement about an hour or so ago) as I too have just received an interview invite from the lovely folks at UBC. What a shocker.

Good luck to all of you still awaiting word, and hope to see some of you out west in February.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Congratulations, Kirsteen & SPOOK77!

I received an invitation today, too. (MD/PhD)

Are you an OOP applicant, SPOOK77?

When's your interview, Kirsteen?

Do you guys have 2 interviews scheduled?

Guest BCgirl

Congrats Kirsteen!! :D and everyone else that has gotten interviews so far. Good luck!

I'm curious to know if MD/PhD interviews are totally separate from the regular MD interviews. Can other oop students expect to hear about interviews this early, or is it just because Kirsteen is an MD/PhD applicant?

I've heard that BC residents living out of province have been interviewed in March in previous years. Has anybody in that situation interviewed earlier than that? I'm just trying to see when I can expect to interview (if I get one)... I know it's all just spectulation for the most part though. The waiting is brutal!!

Thanks guys... and good luck everyone!! :)

Guest Bob Tricks

BCGirl: No worries, it was like this last year too. I am resident and out of province. they will call us in about 1 month I believe. I think they do that because they want our interviews to coincide with our spring break (?) - not sure.

Guest Just Curious

Hi everyone I firstly wanted to say congratulations!!!!!!

You did it and you will kick ass......fershoor!!!

Question: Would you guys mind posting your stats (ie GPA, MCAT) just to get an idea of where I stand in their process.

thanks alot everyone

and once again Good Luck to all

JC

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

With respect to some details regarding the interview process for us MD/PhD applicants, from my own experience I received the invitation for only the two MD-program related interviews today. (They are scheduled for a Monday and Tuesday near the end of February.) Hearing previously that, especially for out-of-province MD/PhD applicants, all the interviews related to the program were aimed to be scheduled around the same time, I gave them a shout for clarification. Apparently the process is such that, now that I have confirmed the end-of-February MD-program interview dates, a call should be incoming within the next week from the MD/PhD folks to schedule their multitude of interviews around the two MD-program interview dates.

Hope that clears up any questions.

Cheers, and sustained good luck,

Kirsteen

Interview invites are based on your essay, extra curriculars, etc. GPAs and MCATs alone cannot predict whether you will get an interview.

I got one last year with about an 80% average and above 30 in MCATs.

Hope this helps.

Guest bigbits99

Hello All,

I am an oop applicant to the MD/PhD program, and I received my notice for interviews yesterday for the end of January... quite excited to say the least.

To current UBC students, any thoughts re. the interview. Any advice too re. my interviewers... Hermann Ziltener and Nazmudin Bhanji? These gents are for my MD interviews; my MD/PhD interviews are going to be scheduled later. In any event, thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest SPOOK77

Just wanted to say thanks for all the congrats and congrats to those who have been granted interviews. Good luck! For those interested I am an in-province student. I grew up in Ontario but have been living in Vancouver (summer's included) for the past six years. I did my undergrad at UBC in Biopsychology and after taking a year off to work and volunteer abroad I began my masters in Neuroscience. I have a few questions for the students applying to the md/phd program. Are you most of you working on a Masters right now? I know for the md program that your thesis has to be handed in by July 1st of this year. Does the same apply to the md/phd program? I have no doubt I will finish my thesis by the cut-off date but it doesn't seem to me to as pertinent given that you may be carrying on the similar research with your same supervisor. I also wonder how that works if you have external funding until the end of August? I tried emailing Hasami (sp?) at the Md/PhD office but haven't received a response yet. Kirsteen, when you called the Md office and they told you that your notice about your md/phd interviews would be within a week after hearing about your md interviews was that just for your file or does that pertain to any student applying to the md/phd program that received md interviews? Thanks for your time...much appreciated!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi SPOOK77,

In response to some of your questions: I'm not currently working through a research-based Master's, although I have already completed a non-research-based Master's; based on this, I haven't really explored for any info concerning thesis completion deadlines--sorry I can't help there.

If you have any questions concerning the above, why don't you give the MD/PhD office a phone and ask? After all, they are important questions. I spoke to someone there today re: organizing the MD/PhD interviews (so that some travel plans may be firmed up) and although they said that they have not yet begun to schedule their interviews, they are in the process of doing so and are aiming to align them, back to back with the MD-based interviews.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived