Premed 101 Forums

Student Loan

Guest shetland23

Guest shetland23

Hi

Is the maximum amount of Canada and BC student loan for medicine (32 weeks?) about $10,800. But tuition is higher than that. Please advise.

Thank you

Guest Persistent

Aren't we in school for longer than 32 weeks? August 28th till June second week right??

I haven't looked at the application yet so I don't know if there are limited selections for the number of weeks...?

Guest Persistent

I just filled out my application... once you select the program as Doctor of Medicine at UBC it will fill in the appropriate dates (Aug.29 to June9 is what it says). So the max amount will be higher than that. I know of ppl who got 13,000 this year for med1. You will likely still need another financial source... you can look into lines of credit.

Persistent.

Guest shetland23

Thank you Persistent :)

Do you know if there is going to be a package coming our way that we have to fill out? I just want to get paper work done in case I am away.

Guest Persistent

Hey shetland,

Most of it can be done online. The non-online part is to simply print off a declaration page, sign it, and mail it to them. There are some Appendices that you may or may not need to fill out, depending on your circumstances (eg. there is one your parents need to fill if you have not been out of highschool for 48 months). But I think those are online as well.

Persistent.

Guest shetland23

Hey

I got approved for $12,480 through Canada and BC student loan. I am just wondering if this is the most they give to our study period (Med 1).

Anyone else got this amount or more?

Thank you :)

Guest medsmurf

I got my notification of assessment today. I am eligible for $11,421. I'm surprised I even got that much though since I own a fairly new car that's worth about $25,000. I was actually not expecting to even get approved. Oh well I'm not complaining :D

Guest dr nomis

I got approved for only $6000. A definite shock.

I guess I have to go cash in my tiny collection of savings bonds... even though there's only one day a year I can do that. Now how do I get money until then?

Should've bought a $25,000 car.

Guest TBell

Did anyone else make the jackass mistake of choosing "doctorate" program instead of professional? Now I have to wait until the 28th for them to review my file:x

Guest shetland23

Thanks Liz

What car is it medsurf?

Dr Nomis, yeah I was quite worried about my savings (in which we were going to buy a house, but now things have changed).

TBell, I think I put Undergrad for mine... not sure, I did it really quickly. Can you call to explain?

Anyone know which bank gives the best rate for line of credit?

Thank you :)

England won today 2:0 to T&T!!

Guest TBell

The program type is "professional". I called the office and they informed me to fax them the correction.

As for the line of credit, I think almost all of the banks have the same interest rate- prime (6.0000%). I went with RBC and was estatic b/c now I can qualify for a starbucks credit card! Forget gold and platinum cards, it's all about duetto dollars baby!:rollin

Guest kakashifan

for LOCs,

I personally recommend RBC.

They will give you free cheques, make your student acct fee free, allow u to get a gold visa, and other stuff like free money orders.

I know of a friend who went with MD Management and he's pretty happy with them.

I say even if you don't need an LOC, get it just for the perks and also you'll have it just in case you want to buy a condo or a convertible. (j/k)

Guest shetland23

Thanls kakashifan :)

Do we need a laptop for med school?

Also, do we act need the textbooks? or can we rely on notes and go to the Library?

Cheers

Guest Adversary

Hey TBell,

Did not Kathy Wilson just send out an email telling us to choose "bachelor" as the MD program type?

Sorry for another e-mail today, but a student asked me a question that I think all could benefit from the answer as a reminder. MD Undergraduate students report themselves as "bachelor" for program type on the BCSAP application. You are not in a "doctorate" program.

Guest jammyjams

are you people who are going for the bc student loan also getting the loc from RBC or wherever? isn't the loc somewhere in the range of $150,000? surely that's enough to cover everything, no? perhaps I have misunderstood something here - can anyone shed some light....

Guest jammyjams

aha.... so did you apply for both or will you go through the money from your student loan first before you apply for the loc (assuming you do end up spending the whole student loan, which I surely will)?

Guest medsmurf

Hey shetland23...to answer your question I have a 2005 Honda Civic Si.

Also jammyjams...I got a student loan and I'm meeting with an RBC representative next week to set up my line of credit because there is no way I can get by with just the student loan. Unfortunately I'm getting married next summer so I will have to say bye bye to student loans for the remainder of med school :\

Guest shetland23

Yes JammyJams, I will use up my student loans first before RBC.

Nice medsmurf!

Congratulations, you must be excited about getting married. Please let me know what I should bring to RBC with regards to the Line of Credit.

Guest medsmurf

Hi shetland23,

This is the response I got from the RBC representative when I was setting up my appointment.

"Please bring in your confirmation of enrolment or acceptance letter for Medical School. I will also need two pieces of ID from you (one with a photo). The Line of Credit has to be approved by our adjudicators so I would need you to come in for the application and then again to sign (either later in the day or the next day)".

Hope that helps. I can let you know more after my appointment next week.

Guest jammyjams

thanks for the answers guys. another question: when do you start paying the interest on the loc? I thought I remembered hearing that it only starts when you get out of shool but somehow that sounds a little too good to be true...

Archived