Premed 101 Forums

Anyone planning to live on campus?

Guest Persistent

Guest Persistent

Hey everyone...

Just wondering who will be living on campus coming fall and if so have you applied with ubc housing yet and which ones in particular? I am still debating... not sure what to do.

Guest tigerlily

I have no idea yet! LOL. I'm already debating what to do... on campus or off, near UBC or set up house near VGH... I'm from the island so I'm sort of a fish out of water in regards to UBC specifically, and the entire lower mainland in general! We shall see I suppose. I'm hoping it won't take too long to get the registration package. I was a total geek today and already sent off my acceptance package, LOL. Not that I'm excited or anything :)

Guest GundamDX

Hey Persistent... congrats ! applying for the 3rd time is no easy feat. I've been living on campus for 5 years now :P been at Thunderbird since 3rd year... this place is great if you could find some clean roomates (quad) or get into a studio/ one bedroom. Moreover it's VERY close to LSI as you know... so I would totally consider it. But it might be take a while to get a placement since the waitlist does get kinda long. But if you are >25 I think you get preference. Talk to the housing office at Brock Hall ! :)

Guest Kels2004

I lived on campus in a private apartment complex for 1st year - it was so so handy being close by for the first year, since you're at LSI almost every day. Second year you're mainly at VGH, and there is a "med ghetto" in the few blocks around VGH where a lot of people live (for all 4 years). A lot of people just lived near VGH in first year, so they wouldn't have to move the following year. I don't know much about on campus housing since I didn't live there!

Kels

Guest live2ski

-hey, guy's-

I can't believe this thing has been here all along and I haven't known about it- it's great. Would've been nice to have been able to share the last couple weeks of stress with a bunch of other people in the same boat-

but yeah, anyway, as for living on campus, I'm an IMP'er, so I'm looking at it pretty seriously- the SABB-10 posting said that there are places being held for us, and that we should apply to Thunderbird or Marine Drive because they're quieter- first year rez was great, but I don't think I could take it this year... my problem being, though, is that both of those are year round. Anybody know if they're making some kind of exception?- or, for that matter, what other places on campus are worth trying out?

Cheers

Guest ubcredfox

Live2Ski:

Do you mean that places are being held at Marine Dr. and Thunderbird specifically for UBC medical students, or just for IMP UBC medical students.

Guest live2ski

They say on the sabb-10 that they're holding 40 spaces for UBC Med students and priority is going to IMP and NMP students first. But there's only 48 of us, and they don't seem to think everyone will take a space, which means there should be some extras for mainlanders. As for whether they're in Thunderbird and Marine Drive, I'm not entirely sure- I think they're just 'spaces' in general, wherever we'll fit. (and they're going to try and group us together with other med students in the same rooms)

Guest shetland23

hey Live,

I didnt see any checkbox for priority for IMP students in the housing application form...

Please enlighten.

What is this SAAB??

Guest live2ski

Hey back,

In that first email we got with all the attatchments (the offer, response to offer, CRC etc.), the last attachment was the from the student affairs office. It said we should email the student affairs coordinator, and ask her to put us on the student affairs bulletin board. (sabb-10).

victoria.lambert@ubc.ca

I've been a bit of a keener the last couple days, trying to make sure I do everything right, and not screw up right off the bat.

It's pretty much a mailing list from student affairs, so the info is supposed to be pretty legit. Actually, there was just an e-mail that said to tell anyone who was accepted to get on it- so there you go- I guess I've done my part ;)

Anyway, one of the last emails- probably one you'll get (she sent them to me as part of a digest of all the important ones I've missed so-far), talks about these reserved spaces.

Hope that helps. And thanks for shortening my name- anyone know how to change the stupid username I gave myself when I was half asleep last night?

Guest Kels2004

Hey there Shetland,

We rented from this place:

www.austeville.com/rental...shouse.asp

It was a bit expensive, but I was sick of student ghetto living, so we splurged a bit... it is a nice building and just a few minutes to LSC. It can be tough to get a place on campus, so start looking early. There are lots of new condos going up in the area too, and some of them seem to be coming up for rent privately.

Good luck with the house hunt.

Guest shetland23

thanks kels,

it looks amazing but too much.

I am going to try to see if I can find some housemates to share.

:)

you reckon it is a waste of money to apply to UBC Rez? I mean if it is a one year waiting list?? becuz next year we will be at VGH??

Guest tigerlily

I know, I can't decide if it would be better to just settle in near VGH and take the B-line right to UBC, or to live on campus for a year and have to look for a place again next year. Or just closer to campus, if I can't get into rez. I've been on my own with just a roomie for so long I don't know if I would want to live in rez. I kind of like having my own kitchen and living room!

Any current med students out there know of any med students entering rez who are going to be moving out of their places by VGH? Perhaps we could make some connections and have those places "held" for incoming med students?

Guest Kels2004

I don't know exact numbers, but as for the current 2008 VFMP students, I would hazzard a guess that only 5 to 10 lived in rez in 1st year and there is about half or a quarter of that this year. I don't think there were any in traditional dorm rooms but rather studios or shared apartments.

So, if you like moving ;) it is handy to be close to UBC in first year, but VGH in 2nd year. There are a lot of people in the VGH area, which is nice, and the costs are a bit less than at UBC. Depends on the neighbourhood you want during your off-time too! In our class we have most in the VGH area, but some are living out on Commercial drive, other commuting from Burnaby and richmond, and one even from washington state (just across the border!).

So - it depends on what you're looking for in a home, I guess!

Guest trickete

Hey guys- sorry but I still have a few Q's about housing. I am OOP, and am not very familiar with Vancouver. I am trying to figure out the best place to live, and planning on flying to Van. in a few weeks to check out some properties. Your input would be much appreciated !

So... 1st year, would all our classes/small group sessions be on UBC campus ?

2nd year- would ALL classes be near VGH ? or do we still have sessions at UBC ?

3rd / 4th year - from my understanding, its best to live near VGH. Also, will we definitely be assigned to VGH for Rotations, or is it possible that we might have to travel to another site in Van. ? (maybe Kels 2004 can shed some light on this please )

Thanks for all your help! I am 'over-the-moon' excited to be part of the Vancouver class in August, and can't wait to meet you all !!!:rollin

Guest AceUBC

Hey

Just wanted to let you know some things about classes (I'm a 1st year student right now)

Most 1st year courses are on campus in the LSC. However, in second term (January - June), we do have to go to VGH for Clinical Skills sessions 1/week and about 2x/month to VGH for Pathology sessions. Also, about 3-4 times this past term we had to go to Children's Hospital. Note that there are free shuttles between the 3 sites (and even St. Paul's Hospital, where we had to go to a few times for Clinical Skills sessions).

For the fall term (August - December), the majority if not all classes are held at LSC. The only classes off campus are your Family Practice sessions, which depends on where you randomly get assigned (could be 2 minutes from UBC or all the way in Langley for some).

As for 2nd year, I believe 3 out of the 5 days you're at VGH, and the other 2 days at LSC, but this may change as they are moving the meds to a new building sometime next year (hopefully this fall but most probably by January). Anatomy & Histology will still probably be here at LSC, with PBL (Note 8:am starts) out at VGH.

Hope this helps.

Just to note, I am currently staying at Thunderbird Residence on campus (1 bedroom) and I found it extremely convenient for 1st year. 4 minute walk to LSC means you can sleep till 7:30, not have to worry about parking, and pick up a coffee on your way into PBL. Also, it helps that you're close to LSC as it's the best place to study late at night (it's card-access only after 6pm so only med students can get in).

That being said, I'm planning to move back home to Coquitlam for the summer and then look for a place closer to VGH for 2nd year.

Cheers and enjoy your summer!

Guest Kels2004

To tell you more about 2nd/3rd/4th year...

As AceUBC said, most of 2nd year is at VGH (about 25 minutes by the B-line or shuttle from UBC). All of our early mornings (8am) start at VGH. We are then out at UBC for histo and anatomy labs ~1-2 times a week - it depends on the block and how much lab time there is! The free shuttle between UBC and VGH is VERY handy! You also get a U-Pass with your student fees in years 1 and 2 so you can ride transit for free. The B-line is an express bus that runs east-west between UBC and commercial drive.... it's great to commute on.

As for 3rd year, it's not so simple as UBC vs. VGH. With the expanded program, they have also added more sites for clerkship. Therefore, you may be at VGH, St Pauls, Children's, UBC, New West, etc for your various rotations. Even this year, I had my GI clinical skills out at the new westminster hospital - it wasn't as bad as a commute as I expected!

So, although most things are vancouver centric, we do get out into the community. Your half day in family practice can be as far as maple ridge (but, the preceptors that are far away are ALWAYS GREAT!) and the clinical skills sessions MAY be at other hospitals.

That said, you don't NEED a car, since you usually have a buddy for family practice (although I have one and love having one). Parking at UBC is $4.25/day at the lot by LSC - there must be monthly rates for the parkades but I don't know anything about that. Most people that live in vancouver proper take the bus (it's usually faster than battling traffic anyways) - in general it's more the commuters from North Van or Surrey that drive in.

Hope this helps!

Kels

Guest trickete

Thank you, Ace and Kels, for all of your input! It was a great help. I remember hearing somewhere refer to a 'med student ghetto', :b where lots of students live because of its convenient location. Does anyone know where this is ?

Guest Kels2004

Hey there - "med ghetto" is the area around VGH... a good chunk of the class lives by the hospital... Roughly the area is between Cambie and Granville and 6th and 16th... Obviously there are lots of other places to live, but a good chunk of the class lives in this area... the free shuttle between VGH and UBC as the B-line makes is a convenience place. Don't feel like you NEED to live there if you are already settled in Kits or something though!

Kelsey

Guest Deirdre

For anybody planning on getting in on 1 of those 40 reserved residence spots, don't forget that the deadline is June 1st, and the housing people don't always like to bend the rules in terms of deadlines!!

d

Guest canuck1

If you don't mind a small studio, I came across this listing on craigslist.

vancouver.craigslist.org/...64529.html

This is in the building that is directly across the street from the Life Sciences building (you'd be able to see it from your bed, so maybe too close). I'm not the one renting it, but it sounds very reasonable for $850 in a new building with insuite washer dryer.

Just a tip in case anyone's interested...

Guest canuck1

You could also try www.universitymarketplace.net/

These are also new and about 5 minutes walk from class, but above the village of shops (McDonalds, sushi, burger place, produce market, video store etc)

I live right around both of these, and would say they'd be about as convienent as you could get if living on campus. Also Ross House and MacKenzie house, which someone posted a link previously are older buildings, but look very well maintained.

I also saw a posting for an old 4 bedroom townhouse, which is likely quite a bit more rundown, but also cheaper I would think. If anyone is sharing and wants me to jot down the number next time I drive by, just let me know.

Archived