Premed 101 Forums

waitlisted...

Guest want2Bmd

Guest cause2003

I remember last year trying to figure it out and I even called the admissions office. They wouldn't reveal how many were on the waitlist or my rank. However, this link has some stats (check out the last page).

www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/a...cs1024.pdf

It looks like 13 OOP and 13 IP gave up their spots last year.

-cause

Guest TheEleventhFinger

thanks for the link

looks like fewer ppl declined last year than 2004.

does anyone know the date when the accepted have to reply back to UBC?

Guest want2Bmd

yeah... and i imagine a number of people also on the waitlist accept elsewhere and remove themselves... so maybe it's not such a long shot

Guest adduction

Hi guys,

I just wanted to tell you not to give up hope. I remember what it felt like last year to be wait listed initially. UBC was my first choice and incidentally the first school to announce final decisions. I was waitlisted for a few weeks before UBC finally accepted me.

The only thing you can do is to stay positive. I wish I had numbers and stats for you since the major discussions seemed to be on the chances of getting in after being waitlisted...what it all boils down to unfortunately is whether people ahead of you turn down the offer or not.

The bottom line is that there's still hope, and I'm proof of that.

I wish you all the best of luck!

Guest Emily44

Waitlisted too...second try...was 0.45 points away from getting an interview last year. This sucks, but I'll be coming back for more next year if I don't get off this thing. Waitlisted at UBC dent too...seems this is the story of my life. Good luck waitlisters and good luck next year to those not on the waitlist too. Crapshoot is all I have to say.

Guest eg77

I'm also waitlised. I understand why they won't tell you what position you at in the list; but i don't get why they can't disclose the # of people placed on the list...even a range would be comforting...I think?!?!? So confused right now!!

Guest TheEleventhFinger

i HEARD (which could totally be rumors) that last year 50 ppl were waitlisted. i speculate that this 50 comes from the previous year's number (40ish declined their offers in 2004?) anyone has any more info/insights?

Guest nostalg

well just looking at the statistics link someone posted earlier on, only 13 InProv people declined their acceptance last year, and 3 deferred. Which would mean that 16 people got off the waitlist only. Whereas in 2004, 25 people declined.

There should be 2 waitlists, Inprov and OOp.

Looking at the number of people declining each year, i would guess there are 40 people on each waitlist, but this is just my speculation as I am in this same position and attempting to make some sense of things.

I tried calling the office to ask if they could tell me ANYTHING- they didn't. they were sympathetic though.

i guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Guest Quinn604

"i HEARD (which could totally be rumors) that last year 50 ppl were waitlisted. i speculate that this 50 comes from the previous year's number (40ish declined their offers in 2004?)"

I also vaguely recall hearing that. During the Med Info session held during the interviews 2 years ago, an admin person also said that they waitlist about 50 people. From what I've heard, you've got a good chance of getting in if you're in the top half of the waitlist, but as someone else found out, the admin person stated that they will not disclose a waitlisted applicant's rank.

Don't despair! and remember, being waitlisted is a whole lot better than being outright rejected!

Quinn

Archived