Premed 101 Forums

~ 30 more days.....

Guest Parii

Guest Parii

Hi there,

there are approximately 30 more days left to the final decision...:P

The horror of last year's disappointment is still hovering around my head....

How are you guys coping with this waiting?? Anyone going crazy?

pari

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Parii

Good luck Gundam,

I am out of school and therefore feel the waiting really wearing me out.

Anyways, good luck to anyone who is still writing any exams.

pari

Guest goodgye

yeah, the wait's killing me!

It makes it hard to study for finals, especially thinking that there's the slight chance i might get in this year and the marks i get on these finals won't count for s$@# all.

Guest supa76

whoa, good luck gundam! the final stretch of undergrad... congrats!

I am going a bit nuts too. No contract work right now to occupy my days, and no exams to divert stress. The days are dragging by...

Guest TKP 123

at least you guys will find out from the internet, so you dont have to wait for the mail.

the news will either light up your summer or doom it. I have experienced both.

Guest Paulchemguy

i guess the outcome isn't much of a great surprise for some people. i mean, the stats/background of some pre-med posters just totally impressed me. and there's so many peopole like that applying.

Guest GundamDX

I beg to differ. Basically the chances of getting in is like 40% (BC residents) ie 4/10. I came up with 10 people that I know that got an interview... and if it was up to me, it's no easy task to take JUST 4, since some are A+ students who are also extremely involved, some are more mature... etc. If it was up to me I'll say 8/10 of these people deserve a spot. My feeling is that you can get rejected even though you have kickass marks AND good ECs AND you think you've done a great interview, so the outcomes are totoally unpredictable and there will be a lot of surprises and disappointment (especially for 1st time applicants like myself). :D

Guest RoseSmurfette

Haha, in fact it might be MORE of a surprise if such a qualified person didn't get in. (Or vice versa, someone who felt that their marks/EC's just "squeeked" them an interview and they didn't feel they did that well on their interview - but still got in).

Guest MKxox

can anyone actually access the interim data for this year?? I have been trying a couple of times but the link takes me to another webpage.:\

Oh well, we'll all know in 29 days!!

Good luck

xox

Guest Parii

Hi there,

they have changed their website and this has resulted in many problems, including the one you are facing. I wonder whether anyone in Admissions is aware of the problem.

pari

Guest Paulchemguy

hmm 40%, that's like ~3 people competing for 1 spot. are the acceptance rate for post-interview pool like this for other med schools as well?

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I believe the 1 in 3 chance after interview is pretty typical of most schools. It varies a little from year to year. This year UofC is really good for in prov, because they decreased interviews for the MMI, and then just this month added 25 new seats. Works out to 60% or better chance for in prov, but I'm sure they'll increase interviews again next year.

Guest jammyjams

how many OOP's do they interview? Because odds for in-province people may be a fair bit better than 1/3 if a decent chunk of those 600-whatever interviews in feb were OOP.

Guest supa76

214/542 = 39.48% for IP. (Not that I'm counting or anything).

Plus, maybe about 20 or more will get in off the waitlist, so its actually a little better.

Not sure what its like for OOP, but I know its pretty bad odds with only 10 spots available.

Guest Maple21

I think there were about 80 or 85 oop people who were interviewed - so you're right, the odds aren't very good. The only consolation, is that maybe the wait list will move a little more for oop since people with multiple acceptances might choose to stay closer to home if they get the option.

Guest Maple21

really? so they didn't have enough people on the oop waitlist to find people to take all the oop seats??? Anyone happen to know how long the oop waitlist was?

Thanks

i *really* hope to come to ubc this fall and am obviously oop since i'm a little encouraged by this news!!!

Guest canmic

All last year's stats are on the website somewhere. I am pretty sure I remember there only being 9 OOP students in the class that started last september though.

Guest Parii

Hi there,

does anyone remember how many seats are offered this year? Did they increase the number from 224 last year?

thank you,

pari

Guest canmic

I double checked and it's true that only 9 OOP spots were filled in both 2004 and 2005.

I looked around the website and couldn't find anything saying how many IP seats there are this year but it did say a maximum of 10 OOP seats again.

I do remember hearing something to the effect that they were going to have 26 seats at UCFV in a few years bringing the total to 250, so I would guess that they're still at 224 total for now.

Guest goodgye

It's still going to be 224 this year.

From what i've heard, the next expansion is expected to take place in 2010, bringing the total to 256.

Archived