Premed 101 Forums

Interview total

Guest MKxox

Guest Persistent

If I recall my feedback session correctly, there are two scores. Technically there are THREE scores. 1) your raw score out of 25 (five sections of the interview out of 5). 2) the normalized score (still out of 25). 3) a recommendation score (out of 10). The recommendation score is sort of the overall panel's opinion on how you fared compared to the other applicants they interviewed....and how high or low they recommend you to the Ad.Com. But the Ad.Com will still look at both the recommendation score as well as the actual interview (normalized) score.

Hope that helps...and hope that makes sense!

Happy Waiting!

Guest TBell

Persistent, do you know if each score is weighed equally or how each is considered? Also, how much does the interview weigh overall when the ad.com. decides who is accepted?

Guest DramaticallyCounterintuitive

The interview is worth 50 out of 100 points in your final score. The other 50 points are 25 from your academic qualities, and 25 for your non-academic qualites (ie. your pre-interview score out of 50).

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For OOP applicants, you'd need a score that is significantly higher than 50 to be offered a position. I was offered a spot at UBC a couple of years ago after being on the waitlist for a brief amount of time. My ECs were somewhere around 23/25 and academics were around 22. My interview was scored at around 84% the year before, and I don't feel that changed too much. That would add up to a score of 87%, give or take some percentages on the interview score.

Given the higher number of applicants this year, I assume that a score considered competitive for gaining entry wouldn't decrease for either, in-province or out-of-province applicants.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sensodyne

What about the reference letters? If 25 are for your academics, another 25 for your non-acedemics, and then 50 for the interview, where do the reference letters fit in?

50% seems like an awful lot for just the interview although I do realize they consider it the most important component the admissions process.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

In the recent past, the reference letters were evaluated as part of the non-academic score. So an outstanding letter could have won you an extra 0.5 or 1.0 point, and likewise, a poor letter might have subtracted that from your score out of 25. From what I've heard though, this might have since changed.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Parii

Hi there,

from my feedback session from last year; I understand that the reference letters generally don't contribute any points/percentage to your evaluation score. They are more of a flag. However, they will take them into consideration much more seriously IF there is an important negative comment.

As far the interview scoring is concerned here are the breakdowns of scoring from last year:

1. Motivation to be a doctor (5 points)

2. Service and Responsibility (5 points)

3. Interpersonal skills (5 points)

4. Integrity/honestey (5 points)

5. Communication skill/rapport (5 points)

This will give you a total of 25 points for the entire interview. They may have changed their scoring criterion from last year. but that is what I got from my feed back session.

Hope this clarifies some questions,

pari

Guest leviathan

The good thing about UBC is that we aren't going to be affected by the double cohort. BC students will continue to apply for the same X number of spots, and OOP students will continue to apply for the same small Y number of spots. The only difference is things are going to get a lot harder for OOP students this year.

Guest bioboy2007

Ontario used to have a OAC program (Grade 13), which was then eliminated in 2003. As a result, students in both Grade 12 and Grade 13 graduated at the same time. To accomodate this 'double cohort,' universities in Ontario opened up more undergraduate spots. As a result, many med schools in Ontario have seen a significant rise in admissions (by around 35%) as a result of increased undergraduate enrollment from the double cohort effect.

Hope that makes sense.

Archived