Premed 101 Forums

interviewing applicants information please!

Guest FungManX

Guest FungManX

Hi.. for all you applicants out there, please

let me know your...

Pre-req gpa (%)

overall gpa (%)

last 60 gpa (%)

and post up what you scored out of 25 so that

we can all see! and maybe one of the nerds here

can formulate a real formula to find out what

the marking scheme really is like! 8o

you can find out what score you got by emailing

the admissions office and asking for it..

and if you don't mind..

could you also post up your extra currics

and score for that?

Thanks in advance anyone!

If you have been offered an interview admissions will not tell you your AQ or NAQ score - at least that's what they told me when I asked. This information only becomes available once you're rejected (so here's hoping I never learn it!).

I have no idea how to convert my GPA to UBC %, but for what it's worth my overall is 7.2, last 60 7.7 (UVic 9.0 scale).

Guest kaymcee

ssc427, to convert your UVic GPA to UBC percentage, you take each class and assign the lowest percent value that corresponds to the grade point. For example, an A+ is worth 90%, an A 85%, and an A– would convert to 80%, etc.

Since I was rejected pre-interview and was able to see my numerical scores, this is how my UBC percentages correlated to my UVic GPA.

ssc427, to convert your UVic GPA to UBC percentage, you take each class and assign the lowest percent value that corresponds to the grade point. For example, an A+ is worth 90%, an A 85%, and an A– would convert to 80%, etc.

Really? That is completely absurd. If that is really the case I would appeal. How many A+'s are really only 90%? Not many I bet - most would be much higher than this. Similar for other grades.

I would/will contact the IMP folks about this. This doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Guest kaymcee

Yes, we're definitely at a disadvantage. However, looking more closely at my applicant file sheet, there is a field entitled "Adj Total", which I assume is for "adjusted total". Here, it is higher, but I can't figure out if it corresponds to a different GPA-to-percentage value, and I'm not sure if it refers to my Overall GPA or Final 60 Credits.

This is one of the many questions that I will ask at my advising session, and I will report back here.

Kaymacee, I finished a BSc. in Kines at UVic last year. Kines is in the Faculty of Education where an A+ is 95-100%, an A is 94.5-90% etc. However, when I spoke to Christine Woods she simply told me they are not looking for A+ students. I was granted an interview and while my marks are above the average interviewed, my percentage is inaccurate of my true capabilities so I understand where you are coming from!

everything would be solve if all universities used the same system. I prefer percentages as calculating averages is fair. I kinda hate the letter grade system.

while its unfair for those coming from UVIC, i was getting the shaft when applying to OMSAS universities. So, the unfairness works both ways. My "average" of 85% translates into a OMSAS GPA of 3.76. Having B+'s in my transcript and a lot of A-'s that were 84% (85% was the threshold of an A, which is calculated to be a 3.9 GPA score) really hurt my overall GPA conversion.

Guest thatuvicguy

Hey folks,

Take heart that there's a whole kaboodle of us UVic students in this year's class. Hopefully that bodes well for this year's applicant pool as well!

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

before the hacker screwed up this message board, posting your stats during interview period and post interview period was a tradition, hope u all keep it up.

kupo

Guest Persistent

Hey all,

I thought I would share my averages to give hope to some of the people on the lower end of the average spectrum.

Pre-req's: ~73%

Overall: ~77%

Last 60: ~81%

I got an interview last year (with pretty much the same averages) but got rejected post-interview. Got an interview this year as well.... Hope it goes better. I'm sure I have to rock the interview to overcome the lower academic scores. *fingers crossed*.

Good luck to everyone!

Guest Maple21

HI there

Here are my stats:

OOP applicant

interviewed last year (UBC only), rejected after interview

interview again this year, and hopefully at least one ontario interview (fingers crossed on western and toronto)

omsas gpa = 3.78

mcat = 31R (11V, 10B, 10P)

EC's include volunteering at ER, nursing home, children's centre, distress centre - current (not all at the same time, about 60 hours each), club founder/president, some student gov't and univ. committees. i've also been head lifeguard at a large outdoor pool for the past 2 years, and an assistant supervisor for 2 years before that.

Archived