Premed 101 Forums

hotels near UBC

Guest CHUBBY

Guest kellyl20

either downtown or Broadway near VGH or Kingsway (cheaper) is not too far away.

I don't know if UBC has places on Campus at this time of the year.

Not really too far anywhere in the Lower Mainland.

Richmond is ok if have car.

There is a hostel at Jericho Beach and that would be the closest and the area is really nice.

UBC has the unfortunate drawback (or benefit, take your pick) of being pretty isolated in Vancouver - it's about as far east as you can go.

There's some very limited (and pricy!) accomodation on campus - check with www.ubcconferences.com/. There are some bed-and-breakfast type places in Kits, which is close to UBC, but these are also pricy.

Your best bet for reasonable accomodation would probably be, I think, in the Broadway and Granville area - this is less far (and less noisy) than downtown even if it's a not-super-exciting part of town, and it's only ~20 minutes from UBC on the fast bus (the B-line) which runs like every five minutes.

There's a Holiday Inn at Broadway and Heather, and I know there's a Ramada right around Broadway and Granville. (You can also run a google maps search for "hotels near UBC" - it is pretty slim pickings unfortunately).

If you do end up deciding to go downtown (~40 minutes from UBC on the bus) - at the very least stay away from Granville, it gets pretty noisy at night. I'd try maybe something along Burrard or Howe, there are a TON of hotels downtown. Good luck!

Guest leviathan

UBC is at the western most point of Vancouver, not eastern...There is a hospital just north of Vancouver General Hospital that you could stay at (Broadway & Heather), and there are also some suites available at UBC but I'm not sure how you go about booking them. The West Coast Suites are an example.

www.westcoastsuites.com/

...Actually before I post this, I just checked that website and they have an online booking system for reserving a room. So there you go. :hat

Guest nucleardove

I stayed at the West Coast Suites at UBC for my interview last year-- I had the first slot on the Saturday morning, so it was well worth it for me.

The only drawback was the proximity to the Gage towers, where the partying was pretty fierce on Friday night, yowzah! Not that I was able to sleep much anyways. ;)

Anyhoo, sure was nice to be right there in the morning. That said, if you don't have an early morning slot, I might consider someplace a bit further off campus-- the food selection Friday night was pretty sparse if you don't want to leave campus, and you don't want fast food. All IMHO, of course.

Best of luck!

ND

Guest pharmgurl

Hey guys, apparently the Med Undergrad Society is providing billeting, not exactly a hotel, but it may be more convenient:

Here's what the website says:

If you require billeting services over the interview weekend please send an email to billetingUBC@hotmail.com. Please provide the following information (preferably no later than one week before the interview weekend):

1. Your first and last name (last name in CAPITALS), phone numbers (day and night), email address, and what city you are coming from.

2. The nights you require accommodations.*

3. And any other important pieces of information.

*In the case of limited spaces, individuals will be assigned accommodations based on the date their email is received.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding billeting please send your emails to billetingUBC@hotmail.com.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Are UBC conducting all of their interviews exclusively on campus now? When I interviewed (with the new interview style) a couple of years ago, UBC was also hosting interviews at the Robson UBC location near the art gallery. There were plenty of hotels in and around that very busy area.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

ah kirsteen,

you see, back in the day, the LSC building wasnt ready. Now it is. the 30+ PBL rooms are used for the interviews.

the process is a little more streamlined now. everyone at UBC, through the west atrium entrance.

Kupo

Guest Kirsteen

Cool, thanks for the update!

(That being said, I didn't mind the Robson Square interview location at all--at least it was close to the hotels. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived