Premed 101 Forums

Confused, anyone?

Guest grins

Guest grins

Hey everyone,

I just got my registration package (address problems...lets not go there), and I am so incredibly confused. I have never attended UBC, but is it safe to assume that I'm registered if it shows that I owe them $7000?? Also, in the blue book we got, it said on page 7 that our registration materials have to be handed into the Dean's office by August 26. What registration material? Also, does anyone have any idea where we can get a timetable that says where we're supposed to be on Friday, the 4th of September, when classes actually start, and from then on? ARGH! The joys of switching universities....anyways, if anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks!

*grins*

Guest northpole

Hello Grins,

Sounds like you're having a spot of trouble (not surprising!). Most importantly, you need to find out what your student number is (if it's not in your package, phone the admissions office and maybe they'll have it).

Then you need to go to the student services centre online:

/ssc.adm.ubc.ca/sscportal...CFramework

You need to type in your student ID # and your PIN (which will be your birthday: yy/mm/dd).

At that point you can look down the menu on the left side of the window and click registration! All you need to do to register is type in the standard timetable # which is 94335.

Then you will be officially registered in the program!

hope that helps.

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Grins,

You should have had a white card to fill in, your CPR form as well as all of your immunization stuff. The first two are suppose to be handed in by August 26. I can't remember what else there is.

Once you have registered, paid your $100 deposit to UBC so they will activate your student number(not the same as the $300 to faculty of med) you will be allowed to register. Once that is done you will see your financial account will be in the neighbourhood of 7,400 owning minus the $400 you have already paid comes out to approx $7000. This is due sometime early Sept, the second half will be due in Jan. If you have a student loan you can have the tuition due date delayed as long as you let them know. If you applied for your Canada student loan early enough it is done automatically, I just can't remember what that date is. Mmmm....seems to be a pattern of not remembering....

soapy

Guest physiology

Hello Soapy,

Just to clarify, after our $100 registration deposit and the $300 med confirmation deposit, you owe $7182.15 right?

I don't see where our $100 registration deposit is being factored in. With these prices, I do not want UBC ripping me off anymore!

Guest grins

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I think that the $100 bucks automatically comes off the $300 we already paid, cause I didn't pay $100 specifically, but I was still allowed to register. When I looked at my financial statement or whatever it's called, that's what I gathered. Is that right? Also, I was able to get an email address and into medicol, so at least that's figured out. Yeah! As far as the things due the 26th, they say they need to be "dropped off" at the office...I'm not arriving in Van til th 29th...think mail will be sufficient? Okies, off to work!

*grins*

Guest sehender

Hey Guys,

I talked to the registration office at UBC and they told me that our $100 deposit came from the $300 that we gave to UBC MED Dean's office.

As for the stuff that we were supposed to 'drop off' to the Dean's Office...I actually mailed that stuff in to them about two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back from them so I am assuming that it was alright that I mailed it in.

Guest Pashmina

Hey guys,

regarding the $300 deposit to med and $100 registration fee, I actually paid $100 on top of the $300, not realizing that I didn't need to do that. However, only $300 has been subtracted from my term 1 tuition (i.e. I still owe $7182 instead of $7082).

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas as to why this may be???

Thanx in advance.

M

Guest Thumbelina

Hey Pashmina.. I actually didn't pay the additional $100 and so I owe $7282.15, which would make sense, since you did pay the registration fee and your owing is a 100 less than mine. So I think your tuition account sounds right!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. On our white checklist, the last point says we're supposed to be at the Life Sciences Institute, 2350 Health Sciences Mall. However, in our blue registration package, it says all sessions are held in IRC#2. I've looked at a UBC map (never been on campus, should be an interesting first day:D ) and I see that they're relatively close, and I COULD run to the second one if the first one I try is incorrect, but I would rather avoid that added stress. So....if anyone knows anything, please help! Thanks!

*grins*

Guest walkorbike

Hi, grins,

Would that I knew! I will keep an eye on this thread for the answer. Btw, I appreciate these 'how to register, how to get an LOC' discussions because they really help me to sort through this stuff.

Enjoy these last weeks (only two or so!) of summer, everyone!

-walkorbike (now settling into Vangroovy...is it okay to say Vangroovy, or is it a tag only used by outsiders?)

I've emailed UBC about where to meet on first day. They said Neil Parker will provide us with more detailed information by email later on. Most likely it will be the new Life Sciences Centre buillding.

Archived