Premed 101 Forums

SFU students matriculating to UBC Med.

Guest Philo10

Guest Philo10

Does anyone know the reason why there are not many SFU students that get accepted to the UBC med. program? Is it because there are not many SFU students applying? Is it because they are not as competitive as other applicants? Or is it because UBC, despite what they claim, has a preference for students that have completed their undergraduate studies at UBC? I would a appreciate any feedback, thanks.:)

It's a combination of a lot of things. But mostly, I think more people that apply are from UBC. I don't think it's a matter of competitiveness. SFU students that do apply are very competitive (as are the UVIC ones, and there are a lot this year!). The ones that I know are very good people, extremely intelligent, with a good NAQ background, and a healthy average to boot.

Perhaps back in UBC admissions' mind, there could be a preference for UBC students. I don't know. I think you have to see the number of people who do apply and what their credentials are first. UBC looks on your average and NAQ's regardless of which BC post secondary institution you come from and score you from such criteria when trying to get the interview. During the interview, it's how you perform that counts. With regard to the application process as I see it, I think showing preference for UBC would be hard. I think that's the least of their worries, frankly.

But what would I know? I'm speculating from my point of view.

Kupo

Guest physiology

I don't believe that any preference is given. However, where you are at a disadvantage is if your school does not use a percentage based system on your transcript.

UBC med will take your school's grading system and convert & modify it to make everyone standardized, and the standard they use is the percentage based system in use at UBC.

Guest richmond604

Hi,

do you guys know how to convert 4.0 scale to % for UBC? Is it the same as the one they use for Ontario?

thanks

According to kaymcee's scale ......it is not possible to get >90%. :)

It doesn't matter if you can't get >90% because UBC assigns full marks in the pre-interview assessment to anything >85% (ie if your overall and last 60 credits are both >85% then you'll get 25/25)

Guest physiology

Hello,

Yes, Ollie you're right about that. I was just thinking that it would matter if they were considering you for entrance scholarships, etc.

Physio

Archived