Premed 101 Forums

Third and Fourth Year Clerkships

Guest coastalkid

Guest coastalkid

I'm wondering if any third or fourth year med students at UBC can comment on how much travelling you have to do while you are in your clerkship years?

Thanks

Guest physiology

Hi,

I'm not in third year yet, but I can give you some idea.

Each rotation you do is different and you have some freedom in selecting where you want to go. For example, you can do internal medicine (aka CTU) at VGH, or St. Paul's, or now, probably even in Victoria or Prince George. People can choose, but they may not get their first choice (ie. CTU at VGH, so they get put into the St. Paul's one).

It's all going to change now with the expanded programs in Vancouver, Vic and PG. For instance, you may be able to do pediatrics in Victoria or PG now, and OB/GYN at other hospitals other than just Womens.

Physio

• 4 months later...

old thread but...

when and how does one choose rotation placements, and how do they select who goes where? marks in 1st and 2nd year?

also, just curious...

it says on the UBC electives website that elective students must be in at least 3rd or 4th year medicine.. how does one do electives in 3rd year? in the summer only? I was under the impression one did only pre-determined rotations in 3rd year, and selectives/electives only in 4th.

would also appreciate any general feedback, stories about how school has been so far this year... needing interesting things to read!

supa

Guest physiology

Hi,

New info - if you're in the VFMP, chances are you will remain in Vancouver for your 3rd & 4th years. If you're in the IMP, you stay in Victoria, and likewise w/ the NMP.

You'll have to wait till 4th year to go elsewhere, so that the integrity of the programs can be maintained. I mean, why bother recruiting staff for a CTU in Prince George, if all the NMP people want to go to Vancouver?

In third year - students do pre-determined rotations. However, they have 2 weeks of electives sandwiched into their non "big three" rotations.

Placements are determined randomly by a computer. Grades have no impact.

Archived