Premed 101 Forums

Re-applicants: What to do differently this year?

Guest medsmurf

Guest medsmurf

For those of you who were rejected and then accepted upon re-application, what did you do differently the second (or third etc.) time around to improve your application?

Also, last year for the Non-Academics section I had a lot of entries but didn't explain them in very great detail. Do you think it's better to have fewer activities and go into a better description about them? I know I have enough different activities to get a good score for Non-Academics but I just don't know how to write them out so I can maximize my points.

Guest Jochi1543

As far as expanding your non-academic entries with the limited space available, I would focus on the amount of responsibility you had. If you managed someone or was one of the people planning, say, a volunteering effort, make sure to include the words "group leader" or "organizer" when you write down that activity. If you were a simple participant in some group, which was, say, raising money, mention how much money you raised, and if you don't know, ballpark it by taking the amount the group raised and dividing it by the number of participants. Emphasize not simply involvement, but the degree of that involvement and the effect of it.

Guest BandaBoarder

For my re-application, I re-wrote the MCAT (even though UBC said it wouldn't matter), learned a new language, continued at my current job, and gained 1 new fantastic reference. I did not change very much of my essay.

I am certain what mattered most was my interview performance the second round. I was more confident, less nervous and offered way more to the panel about myself. I think after a year of stewwing (is that a word?) I was much better at articulating my reasons for choosing medicine, and my determination to do so.:D

-B.

PS - After I was rejected the 1st time, I asked for feedback. They basically told me my chances were slim (mostly based on marks) but I'm proud to say I'm in!

Keep going! You can do it! Prove 'em wrong!

One more thing - I think fewer extra-curr's with more detail is totally the way to go.

Guest medsmurf

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Last year it was definitely my interview that tanked my application but I still want to try and make the other parts of my application better as well. Although, I really liked my essay last year so I didn't change it much for this year.

im with ya banda!

interview was what got me in...w00t. do it well, give it all you got, you stand an excellent chance.

as for changes to your application itself, its all how you wanna present yourself. i used all parts of the application to make it more than the sum of its parts. I used the same essay, but i did made make some important, but minor changes, that enhanced the overall application.

good luck everyone, hopefully i'll see you at the interview (im planning to help out with that).

kupo

Archived