Premed 101 Forums

Help with Admission Essay!

Guest Paulchemguy

Guest Paulchemguy

Hello to all!

A question about the essay. I kinda gave a story of my growth and change of ideals, but I never explicilty mention my reasons for studying medicine. Is that bad?

Thanks for all your advice!

Cheers,

Paulchemguy

Guest medsmurf

I also wrote a story about my life over the years (growth, experiences etc.) but incorporated my reasons for studying medicine in it. I know someone who got accepted though and did not mention anything about reasons for studying medicine in their essay.

First off, there is no right or wrong way to write your essay - so be confident that what you're going to submit is what you are all about.

Also, just to note that the essay plays a VERY minimal role in the selection process. Note that your pre-interview score out of 50 is based on 2 things:

1) your academic assessment out of 25 - prereq avg, overall avg, last 60 credits

2) your personal assessment out of 25 - what you said in your sketch online

Your essay CAN give you up to one bonus point if it is deemed spectacular. That being said, you can lose up to 1 point if your application is deemed to be poorly prepared - errors, etc.

Your essay may be used by the interview panel should you be selected for an interview - they may ask questions based on what you wrote.

Hope this helps and good luck!

AceUBC

Med09

Archived