Premed 101 Forums

Questions about UBC App...specifically non academics/essay

Guest Sorcham

Guest Sorcham

Hi,

I'm new to this page and feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I'm applying sooner than I had anticipated and am feeling a bit confused and overwhelmed. I have a few things that are causing me grief. I did my undergrad at UBC and have very low prereqs (failed and had to repeat one...wasn't planning on med school at the time. Average of ~65). They are old, 97-98, and I have a ton of other things working for me at the moment. I completed 2 degrees (B.Sc in Cell Bio and Genetics and B.A. in English) essentially at the same time. I have lots of good work experience and my academics towards the end of school are pretty good, (low 80's) although not fabulous. I really want to emphasize all the other things that I have working for me, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. I've been told to include many things and avoid others in my personal statement. For example, I should explain why I'm older and applying (28...graduated 2002), I should avoid talking about my low prereqs but somehow explain them, and I should somehow list all the positives. But if my statement includes why I want to be a doctor, why my prereqs are low, why I'm applying at 28 (which I don't think is that old...but will med schools?), the benefits of my various jobs and experiences (volleyball captain, assistant instructor for a martial arts school, job as a teacher for ESL, job as a research assistant, job supervising staff in residence at UBC, volunteer work at a cancer clinic and hosptial etc etc etc), it seems just way too long. I want to include all this info in my application, but what goes in my personal statement?

Also, I have volunteer work etc in health related fields, but none is 3 years or even close. Should I still put it in the community service area? Should it go under 'others'?

That's it for now...sorry it's so long! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guest FungManX

I'm just wondering is it a real requirement to have worked in a healthcare related field for a minimum of 3 years?

I've heard that statement from other places as well.. but always ignored it because I didn't believe it!

Guest walkorbike

Dear Sorcham,

Hello! How's it going? Sounds as though you are asking the tough questions, and that is good, because you want to craft an essay that is dynamic and confident and exciting to the reader. I am 35+ and in the first year class, so 28 sounds so delightfully young to me, but anyhoo. I respectfully disagree with the advice that you were given that you have to justify why you are applying at 28. In my opinion only, that is a non-issue and not the best use of precious space. The Admissions Committee, I think, wants to hear about what has made you the unique soul you are and why specifically you want to do what you want to do with the rest of your life. This essay is really tricky, but fun. I would suggest making many drafts and editing ruthlessly and also getting someone who knows you, a friend or a prof, to read the drafts and critique them. Experiment with different approaches, for example, the long list of experiences vs. one or a few examples, carefully told. Take care and good luck! Medical/dental school is very fun and it's great that you want to go! If you crunched an Arts degree along with a Cell bio degree you have a pretty unique ability to manage your time and openness to different approaches to learning that will serve you well.

Regards,

-walkorbike

p.s. edited to add that I have no real insight on what makes a 'good' essay or not, so while my suggestions make sense to me, they might not work for others.

Guest walkorbike

Hi, FungManX,

I echo your disbelief about an informal requirement of work in a healthcare field. I mean, it would be great to have the background, I would think, but UBC is pretty clear in its list of pre-req's.

Regards,

-walkorbike

Hi Sorcham,

First of all, I want to congratulate you for trying to put together a cohesive essay a few weeks before the deadline. Speaking from experience, it's crucial to edit and proof-read it quite extensively before submitting it with your application.

As Walkorbike has pointed out, a 28 year old applicant is not really considered a mature applicant. The fact that you did your pre-req less than 10 years ago is a good indicator. If you do feel that you need to explain why you picked a particular career before you apply for med, then go ahead and dedicate a paragraph for that purpose. However, I would stay away from low GPA or a failed course. Last year there was a box for "additional comments". If you do feel inclined to justify your academics, that might be a better place to do it.

My understanding of the primary purpose of a personal statement in the application is not to justify your shortcomings, but to highlight your diversity. For example your volunteer experience, extra curricular, traveling, teaching overseas, research work. Additionally, it might be a good idea to dedicate a good portion of the essay to elborate on why do you want to be a doctor. Afterall, you would like to highlight many of your outstanding qualities that UBC med would love to have you in their program.

Considering the fact that UBC evaluates academics (out of 25% of your total score) and non-academics, including this essay (out of another 25%), it might be advisable to spend those 2 pages to spot-light your pluses.

Good luck with your essay.

MMUR

Med I

hey no worry,

i wrote my essay a week before the deadline and still edited it on the day it's due. Definitely do-able!

MMUR and walkorbike had made good points. i'd just like to add a tip (since i started my essay late too):

pick out a few qualities that best describe you (multitasking/leadership/compassionate/nerdy... whatever) and tie them in to your activities. Remember, (such a cliche by now but anyhow,) the adcom does not know who you are, so ... make sure they know who you are and what are your values in life. The interviewers only report their impressions of you to the adcom, not their descriptions of you.

btw, 28 is young! i 'm almost under the impression that 1/2 of my class is above 28.

tea

Archived