Premed 101 Forums

Need an Interesting Elective

Guest Paulchemguy

Guest Paulchemguy

Hello all,

Thanks to all who gave me advices on the coop. Right now, I'm looking at my schedule for the upcoming year and I find out that I need an elective.

I'm taking 4 requirement courses each term so I want to fit a less work-demanding elective to each term to make a total of 5 courses per term.

Can anyone please recommend some interesting electives that won't be too hard and take time away from my core course?

Thanks dudes!

Paulchemguy

Guest Malikar

CLST 301, if you haven't already taken it. It's a cakewalk and it's pretty neat to learn about where a lot of words we use come from.

You could look into some psych courses, or philosophy. I hear symbolic logic is a pretty easy, but interesting and useful PHIL course. I think it's a 200-level course, if that's a problem. There are some 300 and even 400-level courses with no-prereq's floating around. Those ones are usually meant to be taken as upper-level electives and are often less-demanding than courses which are required for one degree or another.

Hope that helps.

Guest smooth operater

since you are seeking for interesting elective, DON NOT take phil 200 sysbolic logic. Even though I got a pretty good mark in the course, I felt it was a waste a money. You gain nothing from it unless you are a computer major. Try phil 125 if you like reading about stories behind scientific researchs. But I will warn you the quizzes can be a bit tricky due to the wording that Burkholder use.

Guest Paulchemguy

argh, I dont' ever wanna take another philosophy. They are so boring that my mark isn't even as high as my core courses. And clst doesn't fit. argh~

Com'on, can anyone suggest list please?

Guest Paulchemguy

argh FNG355 I already heard about, but first, it's full, and secondly, i'm gonna have 2 big breaks every mfw. grr. any other ones, smooth? (thanks for your reply, smooth)

Guest adduction

FNH 355 is alright - but it's boring. Though memorizing the notes and paying attention during the video's will earn you a great grade. The class avg was 79 or 80..

Guest btrots

One of my favourite courses at UBC was Biomedical Ethics. It's an upper-level PHIL course. Not too difficult to get a decent mark, and it's super interesting. The professor was fantastic too, forget her name though.

Guest smooth operater

Btrots, i heard the biomed. ehtics course is only good for people who are good at writing essays since all exams are essays based. Is that true?

I recommend EOSC 114 with Dr. Sutherland if you like to learn more about Earth in general. Dr. Sutherland is a funny profs that will keep you entertained. **laser** hhehe

Guest Paulchemguy

ah yes I also heard about eosc114, but my friends told me it's actually alot of work

it fits my schedule perfectly but I really prefer taking higher level electives :P

Thanks for your advice though, smooth! Any other ones?

Guest csp0304

I took the biomedical ethics course in the 2nd term of last year with Dr. Bryans. The topics covered by the course were very interesting. The course allows you to take a systematic approach to think about issues such as euthanasia, abortion and truth telling in medicine. Also, it was interesting to read journal articles written by ethicists, which allowed me to gain new perspectives on such ethical issues.

If you are worried about grades, the class average was 75. So it's not that hard to pull off at least an A-.

Guest btrots

csp0304, i totally agree. I found myself looking at ethics problems in a completely different light, definitely a useful and interesting class. Was a refreshing change to the standard hard sciences.

Smooth, essays are a component of the class, but there are also typical short-answer questions based on the readings I think. There were quite a few science types in my class, so you don`t have to be a essay prostar to do well. At any rate, you shouldn`t have a huge problem getting a decent mark (80+). I got a B+, simply because I crammed for the most imporant midterm (don`t do that, you have to keep up with the readings).

Archived