Premed 101 Forums

Anatomy 390, Anatomy 391, and Physiology 301 class average?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

It seems many ppl are recommending these 3 courses. For those of you took the course b4, what is the class avg for each of these courses? The more recent, the better. Thanks alot!

Guest mysticalbc

I took anat390 and 391 last year so these are the most recent data u can find:

anat390: class size: 504 class avg: 71

anat391: class size: 473 class avg: 79

in my opinion, it is muchhhh easier to ace 391 than it is to ace 390

Guest TKP 123

I did anatomy 390 and physiology 301 a few yrs back.

I thought that physiology was better organized than anatomy 390, although both courses were taught by multiple instructors.

Guest canuck0000

I took PHYL 301 two years ago (prerequisite for my major), with the average being 73% for a class of 427. As TKP 123 says, the course is taught by multiple instructors (each specializing in the section that they lecture in). It's an interesting course, though the multiple-choice exams (one in Dec, one in Apr) may be a turn-on or turn-off depending on your learning/test writing style.

Guest physiology

Hello,

I liked the different lecturers in PHYL 301 because that's how medicine is. You get the "top notch" person in that field to come lecture you.

In medicine, , generally, each LECTURE itself is taught by someone different. We rarely saw the same lecturers more than twice a week.

You get used to seeing someone different at the podium everyday. Not only that - but the notes packages vary immensely from lecturer to lecturer as well.

Physio

Guest smooth operater

oh i c, I always thought Dr. Pearson is the only lecture for PHYL 301.

I just wondering what does it take to do well in Anatomy and physiology courses? Do the exams consist of memorizing and recalling information just like organic chem courses? Or do they mostly ask problem solving type of questions?

Guest TKP 123

Do practice exam for physiology.

For both courses, there are some materials to be memorized.

But i think it is not tricky for both.

Guest petiD

Class average for physiology 301 this year was 75%.

It was one of my favorite classes. Around exam time I felt it was a lot of work but when I think about how long I spent on the course throughout the whole year (5 solid days for each exam, one in Dec, another in April).... it actually wasn't much work at all. That being said, it probably would have been even more enjoyable had I kept up and not crammed.

p.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smooth operater

hey guys! Thanks for the replies. What makes physiology 301 and anatomy courses more interesting and easier than biochem courses? I was checking out the outlines for physiology 301 and anatomy, and it seems those courses require memorizing details and know about to apply to different situations?

Guest adduction

Hey Smooth

Anatomy 390 and 391 had no application whatsoever - it was all memorization. What made them interesting was the human application in my opinion...the fact that you're learning about HUMAN anatomy.

But no application, all memorization.

I.e. Final Exam Question:

Which structure lies in the superior mediastinum?

etc. (Can't problem solve with that!)

Guest adduction

No the thymus is in the anterior mediastinum isn't it?

I think the right answer in this case was along the lines of trachea, SVC or something...basically the superior structures of the heart...right? I remember there being a trick answer in there that was 'bronchi' but that's wrong since the trachea bifurcates at T4 - below the superior mediastinum...

That right? Oh well, no matter.

haha - didn't think that we'd be quizzing each other so soon physiology.

isn't it the great vessels, esophagus, nerves, lymph vessels, and trachea? i don't think that the heart ever moves into the superior mediastinum unless you have something funky going on.

Guest adduction

Yeah it's all those vessels emanating from the top of the heart and the esoph, trach...etc.

lol anyway no real biggie - point was just to get a sample question across.

Guest osjx82

according to Dr. Roskelley and other Anat 391 lecturers, the thymus is indeed in the anterior mediastinum but also protrudes above into the anterior aspect of the superior mediastinum.

and in anat 391, the heart was considered to be the middle (mid?) mediastinum.

Guest noncestvrai

Now can you guys tell me what is the jugular venous pressure and what information does it give you?

hehe,:P

noncestvrai

Archived