Premed 101 Forums

Kwantlen College

Guest WG Pre med

Guest WG Pre med

Hi,

I have recently had to move out of my house due to financial issues. I am now living on my own. The problem with this is i no longer have the money at the moment to attend ubc, or to pay for a car to get me there. I live very close to Kwantlen college and apparently you can take all med school pre reqs there. If I do attend Kwantlen will UBC adcoms blackball me? Or should I take another year off, work, and then go to ubc?

Thanks for all your help.

Guest physiology

Hello,

The short answer to your question is no. However, when you transfer your first year college credits to UBC, I believe they give you the credits only. That is, the letter grade/percent attached to the course counts simply as 3 credits, nothing more, nothing less.

This is for the Faculty of Science. In general, UBC doesn't accept grades/percentages from other universities, even if they are reputable, unles it's UBC Okanagan or Herstmonceux.

However, the Faculty of Medicine will require that you submit your Kwantlen transcripts as well and they will be considered - but I'm not sure exactly how.

But in general, you will not be held back in anyway. In fact, I personally think going the college route for first year is a good thing.

If you want an even better answer, email the admissions office at admissions.md@ubc.ca . They can give you the official info, and now that the admissions process is over for the year, you'll get a much quicker reply.

Guest WG Pre med

Hi,

DO you know if Liz80 still posts in the UBC forum or if every once in a while posts in another forum just so I could ask her a few questions?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Guest smartcarlover

Kwantlen College Rules!!! Education there is way better than UBC. Teachers are great, and they actually care about their students :) . Unlike UBC, where you are just a number and they try to weed you out >: .

Archived