Premed 101 Forums

general science degree = lame ?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Do think the adcoms would know someone who go with general science degree may try to take a ez way out?

Guest mitchie41

Hey Smooth:

I'm pretty sure that the AdComs wont say "oh, this student took the easy way out because he's in program X."

The general science program, like ANY OTHER DEGREE PROGRAM, can be difficult or easy(and interesting or boring) depending on the courses one selects. And there's no way that the AdComs are gonna sift every single transcript and try to determine the difficulty of one student's program relative to another student's program.

But make sure that you have a good reason for going into general science before you jump into it. If you don't have a good reason for going into general science, you're probably not going to sound too enthusiastic about the program when asked to discuss it during an interview or an essay. And this could be percieved negatively.

Guest smooth operater

My main reason for going with general science program is that it's very flexiable. I am able to experience and explore broad knowledge of materials from arts to science. But the problem is that I have nothing to fall back on if I don't get in professional school.

Guest mitchie41

Ever thought about teaching as a backup?

I heared that the general science program is a good prep for people who wanted to be teachers.

Guest TKP 123

For General Science Program, I am not sure if an undergrad student is informative enough to pick some courses useful for jobs. Also, as a general science student, you may not be allowed to take some laboratory courses, such as Advanced Microbiology lab, Advanced Biochemistry lab, which are generally reserved for people in those program. And it is always these practical skills that you learn help you to get a job after graduation, in case you don't get into Medical School.

The other drawback about general science program is that you are not really specializing in a certain field...

Like the previous posters said, it may be a good program to become teachers or to go into professional school. But I don't think it is a strong enough program to get a competitive job in certain areas.

TKP

Guest smooth operater

yeah, I understand those are the drawback of general science program. That's why I really hesistate to go for it even though it seems I can actually take broad range of courses that I enjoy and do well in them. But I heard you can go teach English oversea or be a translator with any bachelor degree. I also speak another language fluently, so maybe that's another temporary backup I can have.

So, it's like putting all my eggs into one basket (professional school) or split up the eggs bit..

Guest smooth operater

I actually don't plan to become a high school teacher. I just thought teaching English oversea may be a temporary job.

Guest TKP 123

That's the idea... You need to ask yourself questions like, what if you don't get in after several attempts? Are you applying to med school overseas or elsewhere? Or will you still be a teacher? What job will you do such that this job will keep you happy for another 5 years after graduation? If so, how will you prepare yourself to have skills for this alternative job?

I know there is someone out there who still can't get in even with persistence. Not to discourage you, but this actually happens. Then you need a backup as reality.

TKP

Guest smooth operater

yeah, I have been trying to figure out the alternative job I can pursue with general science program. Too bad the science office lady doesn't help too much when I asked what can one do with a general science degree other than teaching. I have looked into some BCIT programs, I think it's possible to be trianed as lab technicians in health care settings with a undergraduate degree.

With the exception of engineering and nursing degrees, which are professional degrees, no bachelor degree will train you for a specific job.

There are English majors working at banks, math majors working in computers, physics majors working in bio-tech labs, etc. Professional school is where you get your training.

Remember the purpose of undergrad is to obtain a good education, in whatever interests you.

Guest TKP 123

True, with a BSc degree, you are free to go to any job.

However, a specific undergrad degree will make it easier for you to find a specific kind of job.

Your example pretty much illustrates the point that a specific degree pinpoints you to a certain kind of job after graduation.

Math majors working in computers = math and computers are related.

physics majors working in a biotech = physics and biotech are both scientific research related.

However, if you get a biology/chemistry degree, chances are that it is much easier for you than an Arts student to find a job in a life-science research field.

You may say that there are people who have an English degree working in scientific research, but chances are that out of 100 people, there will be only a few. Most of these people working in this field have a science background undergrad. And you would hardly find any science undergrad looking for a research job in literature, although there may be only a few.

So, although no bachelor degree will train you for a specific job, you would have much better chance to look for a relevant and interesting job with the degree that you like.

TKP.

Hey -

From personal experience, I can say that I've never had a job that I've been previously trained for. Sometimes you have to work a little harder to convince employers that you can pick up skills leading up to or on the job though. Taking this route, I've worked across the board; I've worked in development, environmental planning, financial planning, clinical research, and now I find myself in just finished my first year of medicine. Your undergrad should be a place where you learn how to learn, where you pick up broad and diverse skills and where you attain the flexibility to apply those skills to whatever challenge presents itself. Now, saying that, I like Moo (I think) went to school in the US where there's less of an emphasis for undergrad programs to act as technical training programs, so I have to submit that I'm a little biased. However, the idea that an undergrad student has to choose their life trajectory at 19 years makes my spine tingle. If you want to go for a general sci degree, I say go for it. But take courses across the board and if you feel particularly inspired by one or two, follow that path and see where it takes you. It's my opinion that you can always learn to run "x" program or work a pipette if you need to. If you really feel like you're sure of what you're interested in, and that interest is focused and specific, by all means take that route. Everyone does things differently; what works for one of us may be terrible for others. You have to figure out what you want. If you find a year down the road that you made a wrong turn, make the correction and move on - contrary to what it may feel like at times, it doesn't have to be a race. Good luck.

My point is I think everyone should focus on getting a liberal arts education.

I myself finished a BSc at UBC in physics and math, combined honors. I always thought I could fall back on that (go into industry, etc.) if I couldn't hack it in medicine.

I liked what I did, but my degree was so narrow. If I could do it all over again, I would've done a majors degree and taken a lot more arts courses. I regret not having studied subjects that interest me now, like Asian studies (Chinese history especially), philosophy, French, and the like.

At least in the US, many of the CEOs of Fortune 500s top companies majored in something other than business. Sure, some may have MBAs but the majority of them did their undergrad in something completely unrelated.

While you are right that people in science and technology tend to have undergrad degrees in those fields, I am talking about jobs outside of these fields.

Major in whatever interests you. You will be happier in the long run.

Guest canuck1

You could also do a Commerce minor with the BSc if having a backup plan is a concern...

As someone with a BCom now looking at Medicine, I think this would have been a good combination. It might allow you to focus on the Sciences that interest you, while picking up the fundamentals of business. This would make you pretty employable.

That being said, getting a job isn't everything. If it's not something you enjoy, it's pretty hard to keep at it. I'd give anything to quit mine and be heading back to UBC for Medicine. I'm definitely with Moo though when it comes to picking something you really like (Arts, Business, whatever) - I'm sure the job will follow regardless of what you do.

Guest smooth operater

yeah, I personally would love to take a more liberal art path. I will be able to pick up many art credits like German, philosophy, and religion etc.. in general science program.

Archived