Premed 101 Forums

Applying for the 2007 class

Guest JMN048

Guest JMN048

Hi,

What a great site!

I am applying for NOSM for the 2007 class - any words of advice for the written application?

Anything would be helpful.

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear, and to those who are in - I hope I will be there next year.

JMN

Guest NurseNathalie

JMN,

What I would suggest, is to start early-

You want to give yourself time to be able toreview, revisit, revise and polish your ABS answers. This takes time.

I would also suggest having different ppl read your ABS and give you their honest and frank opinion about how your answers come accross. Are you able to convey your opinions AND your 'essence' in your answers?

good luck!

Guest bp048

Hi JMN;

I am also apply nosm this year, but i have some confussion about admission requirement, actually i have undergrade dedree from other country. so how i show our interest in our ABC to rural or northern areas. i have question that for applying to nosm i have must spent time in northern areas or not? please reply me

Thanks

Rodovan

Guest bp048

Hi JMN;

I am confussing about application preparation, i have two question. please answer these question.

1) some people say that in autobiography or essay you must mention 40-50 activities, so if i had some activities but their is no contact person available so what i can do.

2) In autobiographycal sketch question, they have five question, so these question change every year? Please gave me the question for last year

thank you

Rodovan

Guest JMN048

Hi,

I believe that the ABS is 48 lines long but I am unsure. I also believe that you need someone to verify the activity that is listed.

I would love to pass on the questions they ask. Unfortunately, I am not sure of them, and wonder if they change anyways. If you read through this site you will find others talking about the questions generally. I think they include: why do you want to study medicine? What attributes do you bring to the study of medicine? What do you know about rural medicine? If anyone out there is rading this, please feel free to add comments/guidance. I am unsure of my comments are correct or not.

The application comes out in July!

Good Luck!

Guest krismd

I can give you an idea of what the questions were for the past two application cycles. They were identical, so this year's likely won't have changed that much. They were:

-why do you want to study at NOSM

-how your work, life and academic experiences have prepared you

-community involvement

-activities and interests

-learning with technology

-enjoyable learning experience

I personally thought the questions were really good and allowed me to draw from a lot of different experiences. Just start early and revise, revise, revise! ;)

Good luck with your applications!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bp048

Hi;

Your thanks, i started the online application of OMSAS. and i got the question for this year, so i send you pls you one question pls answer it. for this way i get an idea about how i will fill answer the question.

Why are you applying to Northern Ontario School of Medicine

Thanks

Rodovan

Guest LindaMed

Yikes Rodovan,

I'm sure everyone here would love to help you with your questions reg. applying to NOSM- but we can't actually answer your application questions for you. Why are you really applying to NOSM- why do you want to come to school here?? When you can answer those questions for yourself- that will be to answer to your question. Only you know why you want to go to NOSM- none of us can help you there.

Guest bp048

Your Thanks;

But i only want to know most favorable answer for the ADMISSION comittee. i only want to know about some ideas which help me to answer this question.

please answer this question

How have your academic, work and life experiences prepared you for being a student at Northern Ontario School of Medicine and for studying and working in rural, remote and/or northern urban communities?

Thanks reply me

Rodovan

Guest northerndoc

Rodovan,

You need not stress about a "right" answer. There is no "right" or "wrong" or one that the admission committee is looking for. They are looking for information about you that is true and supports the experiences that you have had. These answers need references, which only you can provide. Some important advice that I can hand out is be honest and do this yourself, ensure that your answers are logical, gramatical and with correct spelling. These questions are a way that the committee can pick the people who will be the best MD's, not those who can surf the net and compile the best answers and idea from others. The questionaire is not a research project. Best of luck with your application.

Guest JMN048

Hi Rodovan,

I agree with the other posts. Sit down, grab a coffee, and think about your answers. Think about yourself and your life and let your thoughts lead you to what you feel the best answer is... I am flattered that you may think I will have the right answer! But my answers are unique to me, as yours to you. Get a friend to review your answers, put them in a drawer, and then review them in a couple of weeks. The most important component of your application is that it is yours. If it is meant to be, it will happen!

Jaimie

Archived