Premed 101 Forums

Is internet at home really necessary?

Guest northpole

Guest northpole

Hey all,

I'm wondering if I should set up internet at home? Will we be accessing files/webpages from the internet regularly for our classes? (ie.using the UBC library, dowloading power point slides for classes...)

I've been happily living without internet at home (I have it at work anyways) ....:)

thank you for your expert opinions.

And I'll see you all in a few short weeks!

northpole.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For one, you'll have convenient, home access to this website! ;)

Also, if you're hoping to access any online resources, e.g., Harrison's, electronic journals or PubMed late at night to gather some background info for any of your meds classes or assignments, it's very handy to have those sorts of resources at your home-based fingertips.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest iddle

Hi. FYI there is an ISP in Prince George that offers unlimited dialup access for $10 per month. It is a great deal if you don't mind the slow speed.

iddle

Guest Ollie

I'm not sure if this is still available, but you get free dial-up with UBC. When I used it, is was only 4.5 hours/month, but I would ask my friends who didn't use it for their usernames and passwords, and usually had sufficient time for a month.

Guest peachy

There are all sorts of companies that want to sell you internet access - if you do decide you want it after a few weeks of class, you can sign up for it almost immediately at that time :)

Guest northpole

Hey everyone who posted here-- thank you for all your suggestions. In the end, I got Shaw internet-- light-speed (slower than high-speed)-- and it gives you free installation and free modem rental, 2 free months of service and then $30 per month thereafter. No time commitments. Not bad, eh?

That UBC dial-up service sounds good, but I'd rather not have a time limit (sometimes I use the internet to stream music so my 'puter is sometimes like my home stereo!)

ps. I also just bought an iPod! How extravagant!! Do any of you have one?!

Guest soapyslicer

Yes, yes and Yes!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Have not posted much as I am in PG trying to find a home. I know almost all our schedules, assignments for DPAS and many more things are all online. I can't imagine anyone getting by without home access as I think it would really limit you options regarding info, doing practice quizzes etc.

Hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful summer.

soapy

Guest Ian Wong

Absolutely YES! You will NOT be able to survive the UBC curriculum (ok, maybe you can, and after all you are talking to a huge computer nerd, so maybe my opinion is biased), but I think home high-speed internet access is hugely important.

You'll be checking your email on a daily basis, doing a lot of your research online searching Pubmed/OVID/Medline, etc, doing a lot of your learning issues via internet searches (with portals like UptoDate, MDConsult, EMedicine, etc), and UBC's trying to incorporate the internet more and more into its distributed curriculum now that there's 3 med school sites to cover. Nothing sucks more than downloading an article with a lot of pictures in it (CT's, colour pictures of skin lesions, path slides, etc), and having to wait. You're going to be in so much debt by the end of this time that it's not funny. Might as well spend the extra bucks each month on the high speed access to facilitate your learning as much as possible.

Ian

Archived