Premed 101 Forums

the NOSM or just plain NOSM

Guest malkastate

Guest malkastate

Hi,

I think this was covered in an old post that got erased. I'm applying to NOSM and using the acronym throughout the application. However, should I be saying (and this is just an example)

I am applying to the NOSM because blah blah blah

OR

I am applying to NOSM because blah blah blah

Perhaps this is a silly question but help would be appreciated.

cheers

Guest NurseNathalie

Save Characters!!!!

first of all- I would not bother repeating part of the question in the answer- (although we are taught in grade school to do so....its really not necessary) they see the question- they see your 'blah blah' beside it.. its obvious... so don't waste your space.

I just dove into it: "I was raised in the North; I studied in the North; I worked in the North as a nurse; I like the North and want to stay here, so this is where I want to now study Medicine" or something like that.. and then went on to explain why in details...

and just call its NOSM...rather than the NOSM... you will like to have that extra space to add stuff :)

Guest NurseNathalie

It's now NOSM - and no longer NOMS...

initially, the school was called the 'Northern Ontario Medical School' (or NOMS).

On June 17th 2004, the Board of Governors were presented with a new logo for the school during their strat. planning retreat in Sault Ste Marie- and a recommended name change was approved by the Board to : the 'Northern Ontario School of Medicine' (NOSM).

I think the change has been initiated long enough for people to be offended if you get it wrong... I would definitely ensure to always call it NOSM...and not NOMS ( even though I prefered the sound of NOMS myself! ;) )

Archived