Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscope

Guest Kinonko

Guest Kinonko

Hello!!

I just found out about this board. It's nice to have some contact with other students. I'll be a "westie" in a about a week. Can anyone tell me where I should buy a stethoscope in Thunder Bay? I found one place, but it was ridiculously expensive

Guest medeng

Not sure about NOSM, but at most of the other schools it seems that you get much better deals from the reps who come visit during the first couple of weeks... I don't know if this will be the case at NOSM, but I've been told to wait until I get to Queen's...

Guest northerndoc

Hi,

I have been a nurse for a few years, and bought my first stethoscope over eight years ago now. I have learned the hard way that stethoscopes are something that quality and price are correlated. I perhaps am a bit biased but I like Littman cardiology III. They run about $250. I have three stethoscopes now (peds, classic and cardiology) and ordered the last one online, it was the fastest and cheapest way I could get one. But then again I live just south of the arctic circle so online shopping has became a way of life...

Good luck finding a stethoscope!!

Guest Kinonko

Hey Northerndoc,

Thanks for the input. I think it was the Littman III that I looked at. It was about $250. Dr. Konkin's email suggested getting one between $150-$200, but maybe that's not possible. It's good to have advice from someone with experience instead of blindly buying something.

PS. Soooo curious about where you are. I've always wanted to live in the far north. If you're willing, maybe we can chat about your experiences during orientation week?

Guest blinknoodle

I would definitely wait to see if there will be an equipment sale at school. The one at UWO had that same $250 Cardio III selling for $150 (which is the one I picked up).

Guest Kinonko

I talked to NOSM folks on west campus. Because our class is small, there won't be any reps coming to sell equipment. Too bad.

Tell them you are a med student at Shoppers Home Health and they'll give you 15% off (after the discount, Littman III will run you about $237 plus tax). Be a little insistent about the discount, as it seems to largely depend on the sale person.

Archived