Premed 101 Forums

Admission question:

Guest maximil35

Guest maximil35

Does Memorial give any preference to applicants who have relatives that attended Memorial? I am especially interested because my mother did her entire training there while my father completed his residency training there. I am also wondering about how often they accept out of province applicants. I am a dual citizen who is very interested in moving to Canada for personal reasons.

Guest surfette

I hope not! I think they accept between 5 and 10 oop students. I think out of 60 seats, 40 are for Nfld, 8 for NB, 2 for PE, and the remaining 10 for international/oop students. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you can find the correct stats on another thread.

Guest clinicalchief

As far as I know, Memorial does have a reputation for accepting people with "connections", but it is done under the table, nothing states that somebody with a parent affiliated with the school will be given priority. They used to ask about relatives on the application but in more recent years it has disappeared.

Guest MUNMED2006

I have never heard that one would get special treatment for knowing someone affiliated with MUN. In my class, out of 59 students, 10 are from NB, 2 from PEI and 4 from the US. The rest are from Newfoundland. This can vary a bit every year, but typically remains close to these figures.

Guest MayFlower1

hey clinicalchief,

How are things? Long time no hear. Did you get into med school last year? If so, where?

Cheers,

Peter (aka PeterHill0501)

Guest clinicalchief

Hey Peter, things are busy but the semester is winding down, so soon it will be over! I don't apply until next fall, and it will probably be just to Memorial. How are things with you? Did you apply last year?

Mike

Guest MayFlower1

Hey Mike,

Yes, I applied last year...had an interview at UofO...obviously muffed my interview...was "bad waitlisted"...needless to say...I didn't get in.

I regrouped...reapplied...whooo hooo...got another interview this year at UofO (only school to which I applied)...I'm much better prepared...did lots of thinking about why I didn't get in last year...am feeling well prepared (yet still not somehow :\ ) for my interview which is this friday at 8:30am ...it seems as if time is at a standstill :rolleyes ...and then after the darn interview... it's the dreaded 2.5 month wait.... :\ ...again... and that's assuming I get either a first round offer or flat out rejection... otherwise, like last year, I could be waiting throughout the summer again with that tiny eencciiee weencie glimmer of hope |I

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I'm actually feeling pretty good about the interview and believe I know what I need to communicate this year...

Cheers, and good luck to you in your application this fall... hopefully, I won't be joining you in that cycle! ;)

Pete

Guest clinicalchief

Hey good luck man. Keep cool and be yourself. I'm sure you will be in luck this time! Keep me posted on what happens.

Mike

Archived