Premed 101 Forums

Coming for an Interview (OOP)

Guest MDSMelissa

Guest MDSMelissa

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it will be like coming to MUN for an interview. Is the tour provided a group tour? How far is the airport from the school? Is there any recommendations of other things to do/see while in St. John's?

Thanks,

Melissa

Guest Douje Dog

The airport is about a 10 minute drive from the school, and it'll probably cost you around 10$. About the tour - I know there's a tour of the medical scohol before or after your interview, depending on the time, and that's given by a couple of medical students. Is that what you're talking about? As to a tour of the city, I'm not sure if there is or isn't, sorry. There may well be, but I didn't know about it!!

For things to do while you're in town, you should definitely check out George Street one night that you're here (ie. Friday or Saturday night). If you're into the scenic thing, see if there's a way you can get to Signal Hill or Cape Spear, or just walk around downtown for an hour or so, it's quite nice.

The interview itself will go fine, so don't stress!! They are very relaxing, and the interviewers are very nice, from what I know. I posted a post about the interview itself in another thread called "for those of you with upcoming interviews at memorial" so you can check that out if you like. Hope it helps. Either way, good luck with your interview. I'm sure it'll go great!!

D

Guest MDSMelissa

Thanks Douje Dog! My interview is on a Friday morning (March 12), so I will be flying in on Thursday afternoon. The tour that Kristine mentioned in the phone call was a tour of the school after my interview. Do you know if there will be lots of students interviewed on the same day?

I did read your other post. Thank you very much for the help/advice. I am excited about this interview!

Thanks,

Melissa

Guest Douje Dog

I'm pretty sure there will be a number of other students being interviewed on the same day as you. When I had mine there were quite a few students there, maybe even as many as 50 or 60. Not positive, but it seemed that way. And yes, there is a tour of the school after the interview. All the best! D

Guest stevetilley

MDSMelissa,

Interviews generally happen friday mornings, then there's a free pizza lunch from 12-1 (which the med students usually invite themselves to). After that, all the applicants are taken on a "tour" of the med school, although there's not a whole lot to it (a couple of lecture theatres and labs and a Tim Hortons). After that, you're free to go. March 12th is our last day of finals (end @ 11am), so I aplogogise in advance for our behavior!

If you'd like a breif tour of St.John's, I'm sure a couple of my classmates and I could show you around. I'll most likely be there at lunch, just tell one of the tour guides (Pete or Jennette, both 1st year students) that you'd like to meet Steve Tilley.

Guest nextstopmd

I'll be coming from Ontario for an interview at MUN on March 12th as well. I had an interview there last year and was really hoping to get accepted, but obviously I didn't as I'm going back for another interview. Ah well, maybe the second time will be lucky.

When I interviewed last year there were about 15 students that day, and they were a mix of in and out of province. It seemed like there were only a handful of people from OOP.

Steve is right that the tour isn't all that exciting, but the people there were great so it was worthwhile just for the chat. They did show us this fancy patient simulator thingie they had which is sort of a robot that looks like a real person lying on an operating table. It was kind of creepy but really amazing!

Not sure if I'll be able to get to much of the tour this year, since my flight back out leaves mid-afternoon!

Hey Guys!

I have an interview on March 12th as well... from Ontario too. Are you all flying solo? I think my dad wants to accompany me to check out the place. Hope to meet you all!

Guest nextstopmd

I'm also flying out Thursday morning from Toronto and am leaving on Friday afternoon. Not sure if I'm staying with relatives in St. John's or not...

You'll all have a great time visiting Memorial. Everyone is so friendly and laid back. I'm really looking forward to returning! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the exact number of OOP applicants being interviewed? I know there are only 3-5 spots available so I'm wondering what the chances are ...hehe. Thanx!

Bleepo

Guest CornuAmmonis

Hi all,

I guess this is a general question.

I called admissions today and they said that not all interview invites have been sent for OOP applicants. I was informed that about 40 applicants will be invited, and only 5 or so spots will be held for OOPs.

So, I'm wondering is this true? I have already assumed my fate with them, but I don't know what to make of this fact.

Can someone shed some light?

Are there people who just recently received interview invited? From what I've read, most OOPs were notified long ago.

Thanks

Guest leafsone

hey,

i had my interview at mun on friday and one of the admissions ladies told me that they are interviewing 30 OOP applicants for up to 5 spots. not sure if all the invitations have been sent though.

Archived