Premed 101 Forums

highschool marks

Guest booty911

Guest booty911

Hello, I am a grade 11 honours student at my highschool and am really interested in a career in medicine. I am just asking what your marks were like in highschool? What should my marks look like to be thinking of medicine?:rollin

Thanks,

booty911

Guest clinicalchief

booty:

Good to see your thinking about your future this early! First of all, I have seen people with straight A's in High School go to University and flunk out; I have seen people in HS with straight A's go to University and maintain high grades, and I have also seen people with poor/mediocre grades in HS go to University and excel.

I think most people will agree that your HS marks are generally not a good indication of how well you will do in University (with some exceptions of course). Also, medical schools do not consider your high school grades when you apply for admission, only post-secondary grades.

My advice to you is to work hard and try to maintain the best grades you can, especially if you are interested in getting into a competitive University for undergrad, and/or entrance scholarships (which are based on HS academics). More importantly however, if you think you want to do medicine, research it a little and find out what the entrance requirements are for the schools you are interested in applying to, and maybe get a little volunteer experience under your belt! (If you can handle it with your schoolwork of course).

However, most importantly (IMHO), while giving your best effort in school, don't get too caught up in it, your HS years are some of the best in your life (if not the best) so take advantage! :P You have plenty of time in deciding your future career; have an open mind and have fun while you can! :lol

Good Luck

cc

Guest booty911

thanks cc for you great reply. i really appreciate it. i am applying for Medquest at MUN this summer, hopefully i'll be accepted!

Guest stevetilley

Interesting that you should ask...

I know someone in medicine who hardly went to class in high school. He graduated high school w/ 70.1% average (you need 70% to get into MUN undergrad).

He then did really well in university (when he started working) and then got into med school.

-------------

In the meantime, I know lots of people who graduated w/ honors in high school who are now sweeping floors etc...

Point is, by the time you apply to med school, noone cares what your marks were in high school. However, it is important that at this stage you get used to working hard and find something your interested in enough to do an undergrad degree in it.

good luck!

Cheers,

Steve

Guest booty911

Wow, that really boost up my self esteem but like you said, it's good to get used to working hard while I have years to come before filling out that medschool application. As for undergrad, I am leaning towards doing a nursing degree with a science minor. I would do a science degree, and I love sciences (bio and chem) but I cannot see myself doing that as an undergrad. Plus I feel safe having nursing as a back-up in case I don't get into medicine right away.

A lot of people in my family are healthcare professionals such as RN's, NP's, doctors, LPN's, lab techs, and my cousin is starting dentistry soon.

Anyway, like my mother always says, everything will turn out in the end:) .

Steve Tilly, may I ask (if you read this) where you are from because your name actually sounds very familiar?

Seeya,

booty

Archived