Premed 101 Forums

Anatomy

Guest druggist

Guest druggist

This goes to the moderators:

Having only learned about how medical anatomy courses are taught during my internet searches and MUN school tour subsequent to my med interview, and with various medical schools stating that they now teach anatomy "non-traditionally" with CD-rom, etc, and not cadavers, I was wondering if you could tell me how the anatomy program works at MUN. I'm just trying to get an idea of what next year will be like. Is anatomy the basic buy three books, study them, and then dissect a cadaver or is it more non-traditional?

Thanks,

I think Im just excited for next year,

Druggy

Guest Douje Dog

Druggist, I'm not too sure I know exactly what you mean by 'traditional,' but I'll do my best to explain how the anatomy goes at MUN.

The Gross Anatomy course is divided into lectures, labs and tutorials. We would have a few classroom lectures on a particular topic (as an example, Abdomen) and then we would have a lab on what we were just lectured on. The labs involve identifying the different structures/landmarks on a cadaver. We didn't dissect the cadaver ourselves; but just picked through it, following the objectives in the lab handouts. Tutorials are every 1 to 2 weeks. There's a bunch of clinically applied questions that have to be answered - it's kind of a practical application to the material we learned in the lectures and labs.

That help at all? Almost al of us in my year found Anatomy to be the best course in first term, despite the massive amount of material covered.

Doug

Along with Gross Anatomy, we also learn Histology and Embryology as part of the entire Anatomy course.

Archived