Premed 101 Forums

course load

Guest choti

Guest choti

Hi,

I am in a bit of a tricky situation. I switched programs during my undergrad, so while next year will be my fourth year in my new program, it will be my fifth year in university overall. I have always taken full course loads in university (five full courses a year). However, next year I could safely complete my degree with only four courses. Would this jeopardize my chances at successfully applying to Mun? Will my grades from my final year even be considered for medicine application purposes? I should also mention that I am an OOP (Ontario) applicant.

thank you so much for your guidance

Guest stevetilley

I think that your grades for a given semester will only be considered in your application if you were taking a full course load. If you take less than a full load and do well, it probably won't help you as much as if you took a fulll 5 courses. On the same token, if you take 4 courses and do poorly, it would definately look bad on your application!

If your grades from the previous 4 years are all really good - then I'd just stick w/ the 4 courses, as you don't NEED the extra semester counted to pull up your GPA. However, if you had a bad semester somewhere along the way and want to "prove" your academic worth, I'd pick up wa 5th course and take the full load.

If I were you, I'd register for some super-easy bird course that you can get an A in with no trouble. This will give you the "full load" without much additional work. I did many times during undergrad, lol. (my motto, borrowed from physics 102: was "always take the path of least resistance"):)

Good Luck!!

Guest choti

wow! Thanks for your speedy reply and sound advice. This is a really supportive board, I wish I had discovered it sooner!

I've got one more question for Steve Tilley, or for anyone else who can answer...Does Mun have a preference of what type of English course you have as a prerequsite? I have OAC English, and a full year English course in pop culture...would these be looked at less favourable than, say, a course in literature?

thanks!

Guest stevetilley

As far as I know, just so long as you have 1 year of ANY university english course, you're good to go. The most imiportant thing is that you have a good grade in the course (preferably an A).

As usual, I took the Steve Tilley "path of least resistance" for the english requirement. I took English 101 and 102 at the Univrsity of Arizona (where I did undergrad). Both courses were a piece of cake and I got an A in both of them (I imagine most semi-keen premeds would probably pull of an A in an intro course like English 101/102 without too much trouble).

So to answer your question, I think either you're OAC english or your university english pop culture course would fufill the requirement. If you got a good grade in the university course, then I'd put that down in the "English Requirement" section.

Good Luck!

Guest stevetilley

BTW, in the English 101 I took to fufill 1/2 of MUN's english requirement, we actually did our assignments based on movies, instead of books!! I went through an entire english course without reading a single book!!

Guest choti

In my pop culture english class, we watched Buffy, Sex and the City, Shakespeare in Love, and the reading we did was Agatha Christie and Sherlocke Holmes!

go me :)

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...
As far as I know, just so long as you have 1 year of ANY university english course, you're good to go. The most imiportant thing is that you have a good grade in the course (preferably an A).

As usual, I took the Steve Tilley "path of least resistance" for the english requirement. I took English 101 and 102 at the Univrsity of Arizona (where I did undergrad). Both courses were a piece of cake and I got an A in both of them (I imagine most semi-keen premeds would probably pull of an A in an intro course like English 101/102 without too much trouble).

So to answer your question, I think either you're OAC english or your university english pop culture course would fufill the requirement. If you got a good grade in the university course, then I'd put that down in the "English Requirement" section.

Good Luck!

Hi there, I thought grades in English courses are just considered as flags. As long as you pass them, you are good to go.

Archived