Premed 101 Forums

MCAT rumors...

Guest clinicalchief

Guest clinicalchief

Has anybody heard about MunMed setting an MCAT cutoff for future applicants? What do you think about this? I'd like to know the truth about their take on MCAT scores...but I guess nobody will ever know. I know, and have heard of people at MunMed who have comparibly lower scores which other schools wouldn't even consider...which throws a bone into my situation (sort of). My August scores turned out to be 8P, 6V, 9B, O. Worst verbal I've ever done. I'm 90% sure I'm going to re-write in April, but when others have gotten in with comparible scores, it makes me think twice. But if I apply and get rejected due to my score, I know I'll be kicking myself. Any thoughts? Oh the headaches...haha :hat

BTW: Can you believe theres only a week until classes start???:rollin

Guest stevetilley

I've heard of people with MCATs in the low 20s who got into MUN Med, but I'd bet their GPA, letters of reference, work/volunteer experiences, and interview were all excellent.

Unlike most other schools, a low MCAT score does NOT mean you have 0% chance of admission. On the same token, a low score certainly does not help one's chance of admission to MUN!

I'd say the average MCAT of those who got in is in the high 20's. You want to be in this range to get a good shot at admission.

In your case, i'd recommend doing the following: Have a good final semester in school, get good grades, etc. Don't take the April MCAT. In May, you'll find out if you got in. If you DO get in, then party all summer and look forward to med school.

If you DON'T get in, then spend the summer studying hard for the August MCAT, get an excellent score, and apply for med school again (with your new and improved score).

Hope this helps!

Guest clinicalchief

That makes sense but I do not apply until next year (for 2005) so I still have a chance to re-write before then, which is probably what I will do! Thanks!

Archived