Premed 101 Forums

Academic Reference?

Guest clinicalchief

Guest clinicalchief

I'd like somebody to clarify some concerns I have about the "academic reference." I will be applying in 2004 and I haven't really gotten to know any professors that have taught me a class very well. Especially because most classes I have taken so far have large numbers of students, in turn the professors are overly busy and it seems hard to spend time with them. My questions are: Does the academic reference have to be by somebody who's class you took? or can it be from somebody you worked for? Is it uncommon/ad/disadvantageuos to have a letter from a TA or a lab technician? What is the AdCom looking for in an academic reference, when they can judge your academic ability by Average/MCAT? I have no prob finding a strong personal reference, but this one I'm a little concerned about. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

Guest stevetilley

Good to hear you have the foresight to lay the groundwork for the reference letters.

1. Does the academic reference have to be by somebody who's class you took? or can it be from somebody you worked for?

Either is fine; however, in either case you have to make sure its someone who knows you well and knows your abilities. It should be someone you you made a good impression on, whether in the classroom or the lab.

2. Is it uncommon/ad/disadvantageuos to have a letter from a TA or a lab technician?

A letter from a TA or Tech would definitely carry alot less weight. The title of professor (or assistant/associate professor) has a great deal of credibility.

3. What is the AdCom looking for in an academic reference, when they can judge your academic ability by Average/MCAT?

Your GPA/MCAT says that you are able get high grades in an academic setting. However, GPA/MCAT does NOT indicate how well you work with others, nor does it describe your other strengths/weaknesses that could be brought up in an academic reference.

Archived