Premed 101 Forums

letters have been sent!

Guest surfette

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey NBer,

I totally concur with your reasoning. I think US students pay significantly more than Canadian students (especially since MUN fees are heavily subsidized by the provincial government). What gets me though, is that these US students are not allowed to do their residencies in Canada, therefore, they come here to train, pay less than they would if they were in med shcool in the states, and then go back to the US and end up practising there. How does this help the shortage of physicians in Newfoundland at all???? I gotta say that this does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Why not just charge OOP's a slightly higher tuition (more in the order of what other Canadian schools charge i.e. $15G's) and take them instead. At least that way you have a chance of impressing some OOP students and an equal chance of keeping them on the Rock.

~JZ

Guest stevetilley

JZ,

Good call... although I'm not sure that US student's can't do a residency in Canada (I thought they could??).

Also, I'm not sure either that any schools in currently charge OOP students more (although OOP admission is certainly more comptetitive).

I think MUN should jack up in-province and OOP tuition to around the same price as Ontario schools (12-15k) BUT at the same time, implement a program similar to Ontarios "Rural Free Tuition Program" (see link below), where new Docs that commit to staying in Newfoundland (perticularly rural NF) can get all their tuition paid for by the province. The higher tuition would offset the cost of this program, plus, docs who choose to leave the province (and not do this program) will usually make big money on the mainland, so they'll be able to pay off their loans.

www.romponline.com/free_tuition.htm

Just food for thought,

Cheers,

Steve

Guest taos77

I think charging OOP applicants more is a great idea! I think raising tuition for everyone is a bit risky--you would end up losing many really qualified applicants who would make great doctors. I heard there are quite a few 'catches' to that rural tuition reimbursement program in Ontario. My friend at UofT meds is from northern ontario and returning there after graduation--she doesn't seem greatly impressed by it. She seemed to think that the answer to the shortages in the 'less appealing' places in Canada is to take students from there. Apparently there is an 80% chance (or something like that) that they will return and practice there. I myself am from one of the 'less desirable' places and I fully intend to return there one day.

As far as the US students paying more--I wouldn't doubt that you are right but it doesn't seem fair. I'd gladly take a loan and pay more if it meant being given the chance to go to medical school at MUN.

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hi everyone

I actually got a question related to this during my MUN interview. One of the interviewers asked me what I would do, if I'm the Dean of the school, if a student who promised to work as a rural doctor (of course the incentive for this promise is what you have said-lower/even no tuition) refuses to fulfill this commitment afterwards?

I agree with taos, charging OOP applicants more is a reasonable act, but raising tuition considerably maybe a

bit risky.

As for US medical students, I actually met one on the day of my interview. He told me he's doing residency in UBC! So it seems like they are still allowed to do residency here. Maybe one of the moderators can clarify.

This is what a lady from the admission office told me with regard to the number of seats for each applicant pool:

Nflders - 40

PEI-2

NB-10

the rest of canada - 2-5

US -3-6

Guest savagecabbage

I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember a program from a few years back where MUN medical school graduates could get their tuition reimbursed or significantly lowered by promising/signing a contract to practice in a rural setting for a couple of years. It also seems like I remember a lot of people in the program actually leaving the rural setting after less than a year even though they had to pay the tuition back.

Guest peachy

out of curiosity, did they have to pay back tuition + interest? otherwise it seems like even the people who didn't follow through got a good deal out of it...

Guest waitinginhali

Hello,

I received a letter a couple weeks ago saying I was on the reserve list. Does anyone know how many people are usually on the list? and what are the chances of getting in if you are on the list?

Guest snoopychan

waitinginhali: May I ask which province you are applying from? I am from Ottawa, had my interview on March 14 and have not recieved anything.

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey guys...

sorry, just to clarify what I initially meant (and I think taos picked up on it)....US students pay something in the order of $20,000, whereas everyone else (OOP included) pay around $5500. What I think they should do is raise just the OOP tuition to ~$15,000 which is in line with what other Canadian schools charge everybody, and like others said, maintain the rural placement fee subsidies for those willing to go to underserviced areas. These individuals have to sign a contract, and if they breach their contract, they have to pay back the $$$ that was loaned to them free of charge. Anyway, US students CAN match in Canada, but they can't match first round....I believe they have to wait until the second round, when most of the competitive residencies are already gone. The guy going to BC probably got lucky and matched in the second round. That's my take on it anyway.

~JZ

hey waitinginhali

I am also from NB and was on the reserve list last year. As was mentioned before, you are on a separate reserve list than the OOP, Nfld or PEI applicants...i.e. you are on a list for the 10 NB spots...

I heard a nasty rumour during my visit last year that they put everyone who interviewed, but didn't get accepted on the list, so I felt pretty bad last year...but then I realized that this was not true...I met several NBers at the interviews that were rejected last year...no reserve list...so keep you head up...I did not get the call I so desperately wanted..but I do know that at least one if not more were called off the NB reserve list...but it totally sucks because they will not give you any indication as to where on the list you are (I tried calling last year b/c I wasn't sure if I should re-write my mcats, etc...)...I ended up re-writing my mcats and I'm glad I did because I never got the call...but I did get in this year...yeah....

the wait list will probably move, if it is going to move at all, once ontario letters, and dal letters are sent...since not too many others from other schools have heard yet, I wouldn't expect the list to move right away...

best advice...hope for the best, but don't let the waiting take over...i know...easier said than done! good luck!

Guest waitinginhali

Thanks for the info NBer. I really hope they don't put EVERYONE on the waiting list, that seems a little cruel! We'll see!

just in case this was lost in the message...

i truely believe that everyone is not put on the waitlist...

I sincerely think it is a shorter list...

cheers

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hey guys

just got my rejection letter from memorial (after interview) |I I guess my odds of getting in as an OOP (rest of canada pool) is low anyway. (A way to console??!!:\ )

Does anyone know exactly how many OOP they are accepting this year? How many they interviewed? How many are on the waiting list?

Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting.

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hey guys

just got my rejection letter from memorial (after interview) |I I guess my odds of getting in as an OOP (rest of canada pool) is low anyway. (A way to console??!!:\ )

Does anyone know exactly how many OOP they are accepting this year? How many they interviewed? How many are on the waiting list?

Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting.

Guest novacanuck

Hi Smilling Bear,

I got my letter today too. I'm OOP (nova scotian) and I had my interview last month. I got rejected and as far as I know am not on the waiting list. You're right in saying that it's a good way to console yourself my saying that they're were only 3-4 spots for us anyway. I'm not sure how many OOP applicants there were.

Ben

• 1 month later...
Guest NBer

just wanted to let NB wait-listers know that I gave up my spot this morning, so someone from NB should be getting a call soon...good luck

cheers

Guest waitinginhali

Hi NBer,

Thanks for letting us know that the waiting list is now moving! I haven't heard anything yet but at least I know I am a little closer;) I am also waiting to hear from dal. Wait....wait...wait....

waitinginhali

Archived