Premed 101 Forums

Island tips

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm hanging in the airport here in TO, waiting to board the flight to Vancouver to attend a conference. Post-conference I'm taking an inaugural trip to the Island for a little bit of R&R, i.e., sea kayaking, hiking, etc. Never having been to the Island before, I was wondering if any of you guys can offer up some ideas of some other things that are a must-do. I'm renting a car in Vancouver, taking a ferry across, and will be in the Sooke Harbour area. I'd love to hear your ideas. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Novoulmi

Hey Kirsteen,

There is lots to do here on the island, so what is really going to determine it all is the weather. Recently we've been having temperatures in the 30+ range, so you'll probably want to hit a beach. In the Sooke area, my favorite spot is China beach. It's a little hike through some old growth to get down to the beach, but the beach is golden sand with big waves rolling in.

If you're up for a more "biological" experience, head down to Botanical beach near Port Renfrew during low tide. It's quite an experience.

In the city, the Inner Harbour literally lights up in the evening. Several buskers frequent the causeway and usually put on a good show, and the Legislature turns its lights on just before sunset.

If you're looking for a particular kind of experience, just let me know and I'll give you some ideas.

Cheers,

Novo

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Novo,

It's hard to believe the 30+ temperatures given today's weather. :) Thanks for the tips re: the beaches. Both sound like great destinations, most especially Botanical beach.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest natman

Novo is right on the money! Botanical beach is amazing (check the tides, low tide is the time to go). During the summer in Victoria, the rooftop patio of the Stickey Wicket is the place to relax and have some nachos and drinks. Wandering down by the inner harbour is great in the evening and there is lots to see. Have a look inside the Empress Hotel, and see the entertainment by the water. You should have a wander through Chinatown and see Fan Tan Alley (the narrowest street in Canada BTW) which has some neat shops. If you can make it over to the Gulf Islands (Saltspring or Pender) there's lots of great kayaking trips to do there. Maybe have a hike up Mount Finlayson in Goldstream Park. There's tons to do on Vancouver Island, you won't be bored.

Guest northernjo

If you're staying in the downtown core you should hit up Pagliacci's for lunch or dinner. It's a tiny little Italian place with lots of character. They have the world's (or at least island's) best foccacia bread and soup. It's located near the Bay Centre mall on Broad St. Have fun!

northernjo

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there northernjo,

Thanks for that tip. I'll keep it in mind, perhaps for lunch on the drive to Sooke. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived