Premed 101 Forums

Physical Sciences

Guest EMHC

I haven't taken physics 101 or 102 because I'm a commerce undergrad, but I did take Physics 12 and manage to get a high B in it, does anyone think that I need the 2 first year physics courses as preperation for the MCAT or would the MCAT practice book (the Golden book or something) have enough practice in order for me to do well?

EMHC

Guest Nightrider

Hi!

First year physics was a pre-req for my program, so I'm not exactly in your situation, but last year I found that most of the physics questions were fairly basic and could have been solved with out having taken first year physics (although there were a lot of electricity and magnetism questions on my test...ewwww). When I went to study I found that I had forgotted most of my first year physics and had to relearn it all anyway. I think that as long as you study (make sure you learn all the topics listed in the MCAT student manual) you should be alright.

Regards,

Nightrider

• 2 weeks later...

How's the Gold Standard MCAT by Peterson (I think it's by Peterson)? Is it a highly recommended book for studying for the MCAT? How much time before hand would you recommend to start studying for the exam?

Guest Nightrider

I didn't use the Gold Standard book...pretty much just my first year texts and the MCAT student manual (so I knew what to study). I started studying in May and started doing the AAMC practice tests in July and August. That seemed to work well for me, but everyone has to come up with their own study plan. Hope that helps you get started! Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LIPOSUCTIONATOR

The Gold Standard is a good book especially in regards to the physical science section. Since you did well in high school physics you should be fine for the MCAT.

How long do you need to study? I recommend assesesing your verbal and writing skills because these sections take a long time to improve. If these sections are satisfactory, 2 months should be ample.

LIPO

Archived