Premed 101 Forums

Oh no! The MCAT

Guest testprep

Guest testprep

Hi,

I really want to go to med school but there's only one really big problem that stands in the way...The MCAT. I have looked into all the schools and it seemed that my chances would be great for only schools requiring the MCAT i.e Western. I have a solid GPA well above the cutoff but no MCAT. I am trying to study for it with much fustration. I have looked at some sample passages from old tests but have no idea how to answer some of them, and this I realize is not with the added time constraints of the real test. Is it my lack of science background that I couldn't answer these passages or is it because I don't have any reasoning skills and it's either you have it or you don't type of skills? Is there any tricks or approach to answering these passages?

Thanks.

Guest Lactic Folly

It certainly helps to have all your first year science courses done.. is it the case that you haven't taken them before or has it been a while since you encountered the material? But as with many other things, practice is key..

That's a huge question you've asked, testprep. I suggest you start looking into answering your question by:

o Reading old threads on this board

o Looking at books about the MCATs (library or bookstore)

o Searching the web

o Asking Kaplan or Princeton Review for more information

... etc ... there are whole books written with the answers to your questions - it's hard to condense them into one post!

As a general rule, I would say that the answers to most (probably over 75%) of questions are contained directly within the passages that accompany them. You do not need a great deal of science background to do well on the MCAT...I know arts students that have done very well on the MCAT with only high school level science (of course there was some content that they had to teach themselves in the studying process). What the MCAT really tests is your reading comprehension, reasoning skills, ability to manage time and deal with stress - all of which are important skills for a physician. For more insight into your questions, I suggest that you browse some old threads in this forum.

Good luck!

Archived