Premed 101 Forums

SCORES ARE UP!!!!

Guest bad hombre

Guest bad hombre

THE SCORES ARE UP!!!

GOT THE SAME AS I DID ON THE PRACTICE EXAMS, JUST HAPPY AS HELL RIGHT NOW.

had to shell out 15 bucks US but whatever.

Good luck to everyone.

Hi, bad news for me. It's my first time writing and I did it without having done any chem or physics courses. I got a 12 in verbal,a 5 in phy (!), a 7 in bio and an R on the essay. Better luck next time I guess. Good luck to you all.

Guest premedrn

Well those scores are finally up...but damn looks like I will be writing again in April. Got a 12 in V 10 in B but only a 6 in P. I wonder which section really was the experimental one. Best of luck to everyone who is applying with the Aug 02 scores.

Guest aneliz

Congrats to those of you that are happy with your scores!!! I remember the feeling last year. To those of you that are not so happy....don't despair. The MCAT is not the end of the world....you all have very respectable scores in the VR and writing components...and those are the ones that REALLY matter in Ontario. They are also the hardest ones to improve on... You should be proud of yourselves....if you are writing again, brush up your science concepts a bit and you should be golden! You can obviously deal with the MCAT logic and structure given your VR scores. It shouldn't take to much to conquer the science sections as well! :)

I am pretty happy as well...for three sections, marks went up total of 5 points...but writing sample went down three!!!! sucks...

Did anyone get interviews with a writing sample of M???

Last year I had a P...

But I am very happy with the other 3 sections...

Hope everyone hears good news

Cheers

Guest ioncannon97

i just checked my scores as well. I did pretty well all around. 11V/13P/12B R. I would have like a little higher in verbal but overall, im satisfied.

Guest Richardo Xavier

Well, I need a drink I think...

Scored the exact same except improved on the writing sample.

10 verbal

7 physics

6 bio

R writing sample.

Hope the rest of you all did better :)

-Richie

Guest SavageCabbage

I was wondering what a competitive MCAT score was. I got a 13P, 14B and writing sample T, but I only got a 9 in the VR section. Though I have a total of 36T, how detrimental will that VR 9 be on my applications?

Guest ioncannon97

Savage, i think it depends on where you apply. For most medical schools your 9 would be all you needed since schools like U of T use it only as a flag, and the minimum you need is 9. Also, for UWO and Queen's you usually (varies a bit every year) need a 9V to get an interview. The only place I could see that 9 even being an issue is UWO where they have 25% V + WS in the post-interview decision. However, it won't matter their either since your T in WS will definitely make up for it. So overall, i think you're good. UWO is the reason i'm a bit dissapointed with my score as I was hoping to have higher than my 11R in V+WS because even that will get me an interview, it won't give me the edge I was looking to get. Oh well, i'll just have to have a good interview and I have plenty of time to prepare since I can't apply until september 2004 (i'm in 2nd year right now).

Guest Phil667

I have some good MCAT news this time around. It was my third time taking the stupid test. The last two times I failed the Verbal (6's). This time I got an 11 in it!!!

For all those who didn't do well this time, don't worry. Just re-take the test and focus on your weak area's. That is why they allow you to re-take it.

Phil

Guest batman

well, good news for me also. This is the second time i've taken the stupid test, and thankfully the LAST. Plus i found it way harder than last year, especially with that stupid E.coli operon question....groan

Aug 2001 - 6,9,10,S

Aug 2002 - 9,10,10,R (not spectacular but will do!!!!)

In response to ioncanon - I don't know what the hell you're talking about with UWO - I know two people who got in to UWO meds this year and JUST made the minimum cuttoffs (having a VR 9 and WS P). That would have made them have a 0/25 for that portion of post-interview selection...

Guest therealcrackers

batman---that's not strictly correct---that would have given them about an 18/25 for the MCAT score. Getting 1 and J would give you a 0/25...

Guest batman

how would it give them 18/25? The only people who GET interviews in the first place MUST have those minimums, so therefore having the LOWEST possible score is 9 VR and WS P, gives them a 0/25 for the POST-INTERVIEW process.

(ie. is the minimum set equal to 'zero' ?)

however, since you probably know better than i do, I sure hope its the way you say it is.

Guest ioncannon97

from what I have read on the western board, the minimum is not set to zero. but I don't think that anybody is really sure about this since they don't exactly tell everyone the formula they use.

Guest bad hombre

Congrats for those of you who are happy with your scores. I hope everyone else here does well next time. ioncannon, i'm happy to see that you did well as well, since we were stressing the week before it together on this board. those are really awesome scores, especially since you wrote it after first year. i scored the same as you with the exception of +/- one on a particular section. good luck when you apply.

not to sound like a jerk or anything, but i thought you needed a ten in verbal for queen's.

Just to clarify about UWO.... once you get to the interview stage, everyone is about EQUAL.... Just ask Darla (UWO med secretary). In fact, if you do well on the interview with minimum MCAT cutoffs, you will get in. I had 10-Q and got in first round (that was one higher than minimum).

Also for UWO, MCAT and GPA scores are pro-rated. If you get minimum's you Do get 18/25.... remember, even people who are not interviewed are ranked out of 25.

Honestly, MCATs in Ontario really don't matter all that much as long as you get the Minimum Cutoffs. So what does this mean?

1. For those of you who just made them.... BE HAPPY. Dont worry about it because once you get an interview it is the interview itself that will get you in/or not get you in.

2. For those that did really well, don't start slacking or think that you are a shoe in. Work hard to prepare yourself for your upcoming interviews.

Congrats to all.... best of luck

PS... Phil, is it you???? ppandros?

ioncannon: I wouldn't worry about your verbal/writing scores causing any problems. You should be in good shape. If you look at the distributions, both 11 and R are pretty solid scores. I don't think more than 5% of test takers get 12 or 13 in verbal, or more than 5% get an S or T. Regardless of your score, you still need to do a decent job on the interview to ultimately be accepted.

batman: they wouldn't set the 9/P minimums as a 0/25, otherwise the interview would be pretty much a waste of time, as someone with a score like that would have to ace the interview just to have even a slim chance of getting in. There are more than a few people who do get in with scores close to the minimums. I've also heard several times that getting the minimum acceptable scores in VR/WS would work out to about 18/25.

And yes, I believe the 10 VR requirement for Queen's has been around for a while. But savage, other than that your score should be OK for any other school in Canada or the US. Even the top American schools don't strictly require a 10 in verbal.

Congrats to all of those who got the scores they wanted. For the rest of you, don't get discouraged. It's possible to improve in any section (even verbal, as you can see in one of the posts above) with practice...

Guest therealcrackers

Congrats on getting the scores you did! And if you make the minimum cutoff at Western, yes, your pro-rated score is somewhere between 18-20/25, depending on where the cutoffs are set for each year. I can't comment on the admissions processes at Queen's, U of O, or U of T --I didn't get in there, and Mac is in a parallel universe as far as admissions goes.

Those cutoffs are determined by what factors of GPA and MCAT scores will give interviews to between 400-500 people (I'm extrapolating a bit, because they had 400 interviews for 118 spots in my class, and now there will by 148 spots for this fall's class of 2007)---and those are not made public until after the interview notices go out towards the end of February or early March. More importantly for those with "borderline" scores--that goalposts are never in the same spot year to year. GPA counts for 25% of the admissions score, and the interview counts for a whopping 50% of the final tally. So even if you pulled off a 14/14/14T, you still have to present yourself in such a way that at least two members of your interviewing group believe you would be a good candidate for medicine. More details will come out later in the year, when the numbers of applicants and the qualities of those applicants are determined. In the meantime, OMSAS electronic admissions stuff has to be STARTED by tomorrow, and submitted by the 15th, so GOOD LUCK!

Guest Phil667

Yea, I'm not complaining about my scores. I met the minimum for all the schools I'm applying to, so I am very happy.

(V: Sorry, I don't know who ppandros is)

Guest aneliz

Ioncannon97: Don't worry about your VR and WS scores for UWO. You have made the cut-offs, so you should receive an interview (assuming that all is the same as last year). The combined VR+WS scores don't count for as much as the interview does. (25% vs 50% for the interview). Getting a higher score on the MCAT doesn't necessarily give you any advantage at UWO and there are plenty of people in meds 2006 that only had the cut-off in both VR and WS (9+P) and they are here. I also know a bunch of people with much higher VR and WS scores that didn't get off of the waitlist....

Hi,

Unfortunatly I got a 7 on one of the mcat subtests (and no it wasn't verbal). My other three scores are well above the minumums. I wanted to apply to U of T, Western and Queens. I called them today and U of T told me right away don't bother. But Queens and Western told me they don't know the cut-offs this year, and Darla (at Western) told me that depending on the applicant pool the minumums have gone as low as 7 some years. If I just meet the cut-offs to get an interview the rest of my application is pretty good.

What would any of you reccomend doing? I guess I need to decide pretty soon to tell my referees what to to (send or not send my references).

Thanks in advance! And congrats to those who did well :)

Guest Ian Wong

I'd recommend applying anyway. The worst thing that could happen is that you lose out on the application fee. If you DON'T apply, and it turns out that you WOULD have made the MCAT cut-offs, you'll be kicking yourself for the next year.

Best of luck!

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest aneliz

I would suggest that you apply anyway -especially for UWO - there is no essay to write so all you have to do is check the little box and send $75. Think of it like as a lottery ticket, the odds may not be great but if you don't play, you can't win. Western's cut-offs do fluxate from year to year depending on the applicant pool. This year's cut-offs won't be determined until January. So, while they are usually fairly consistent around a 9, if Darla says that they have been as low as a 7, they must have been (she is a very reliable source of info!). Apply anyway and good luck! Remember, nothing is ever certain in the land of med school applications...and you can't get accepted if you don't apply.

Archived