Premed 101 Forums

Verbal Reasoning

Guest Jim2375

Guest Jim2375

Hi All,

I am taking the Kaplan preparation course for the MCAT and have improved my verbal reasoning score from a 6 to a 7 to an 8 (8 in the latest one practice exam that they administer).

Some people say that you end up getting a higher score on the real MCAT and others are of the opinion that the score is more or less consistent with the practice MCATs of kaplan.

I really dont know what to expect. Does anyone have any ideas about where I stand ?

Thanks.

Jim

Guest MDPlease

Hi!

I feel your pain. I also took the Kaplan prep last year and for various reasons I wasn't able to do a lot of practice, but the ones that I did do I was getting around a 6! On the MCAT last August I actually guested on 2 passages (ie "C" all the way across) and still ended up with an 8!

This year I may doing all the tests that I can get my hands on and I am getting around the 8-9 region, but don't seem to be improving anymore than that. I am getting this on tests from Kaplan, Pinceton and AAMC.

So I am also in the position where I don't know if I will end up with a 9 (that's what I am praying for) or get another 8.

Apparently, the scores you get on the last few AAMC tests are the most representative of your score on the actual MCAT so I suggest doing those and seeing what you get (I am saving them for this week).

Hope that helps.

M

Guest Jim2375

A question for you MDplease,

You mentioned the scores you get on the final few MCATs are representative of what you will get on the real thing.

And yet you seem to have gotten an 8 finally (which is 2 points higher than your highest mark during the practice). I though that was a little contradictory. I might have misunderstood you.

Thanks for the reply.

Guest MDPlease

Hi!

Well, that's what I have heard, that the scores you get on AAMC 4, 5, 6 will be the closest to what your actual scores will be. I will be doing these in the next few days.

Last summer I didn't do any of those tests, I only did the first 3 Kaplan tests, so I don't know how I would have scored on anything else. However, in comparison to the Kaplan tests that I did do, my actual score was an 8 (ie it went up two points). I can also tell you that I have heard from other people that it is likely that your scores are slightly higher on the actual test compared to your practice tests, primarily because you're more focused on test day.

Good luck!

M

Archived