Premed 101 Forums

Raw score conversion

Guest Philly

Guest Philly

I know that it really depends on a lot of factors, but does anyone have a rough conversion for the raw scores on each section to the scores they give? ie a 55/65 on VR is a 9 or 10 or whatever?

Thanks

Guest summervirus

From what I understand, the MCAT scores are calculated by relative performance. Therefore, your score will depend on the year in which you write your exam, the version of the MCAT you receive, and the performance of your peers.

It's been a while since I took the MCAT, but if I remember correctly, there are over 20 versions of the MCAT that are distributed globally and they ensure that at least 5000 students write the same version.

In the end, a bell-curve is drawn and the scores are assigned to each candidate based on his/her percentile placement.

The year I wrote the MCAT was the summer of 2000. If I recall correctly, the bell-curve was a bit messed up so no one was awarded 15 on the verbal reasoning and biology sections. Rather, the highest mark you could receive was the "13-15" bracket in verbal reasoning and "14-15" bracket in biological sciences. :/

I hope this helps. :)

Guest aneliz

It totally depends on the version of the exam that you write and the quality of the pool that wrote it with you. Even on the practice AAMC exams, there is huge difference between raw score to scaled score conversions.

Archived