Premed 101 Forums

prep courses

Guest lis

I was wondering if somebody can give me some suggestions about mcat prep courses. I'm sure alot of you have taken them...what have been your experiences. I've heard of kaplan and princeton review. I've heard that kaplan doesn't provide you with any test material (only study material) therefore that may pose some inconvenience. Anyone out there that have taken both? Which one was more helpful. I'm thinking about taking the april mcat but starting the course now if they offer it.

Thanks =)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I've taken both, Princeton Review (PR) and Kaplan's MCAT courses: Kaplan in the summer of 2000 and PR this past summer. I thought both had their different strong points.

I can only comment on the Kaplan course when I took it (they may have changed the format since) but one of the items provided which I found invaluable (and used this year in the studying) was their cue cards. They're a great tool. The one thing that I didn't like as much about Kaplan was not being able to take their tests (both full-length and section) at home. When I took the course you had to actually go to the Kaplan test centre, sign out the material and then, with wax pencil in hand try work those VR sections through page protectors. This is particularly stressful during the final 3 weeks leading up to the exam as the Kaplan rooms were packed to the rafters and often, there was a queue outside the Kaplan office door comprised of MCAT studiers waiting to be let in. Not quite a similar experience to the actual MCAT. Oh, another item that I liked about Kaplan was their many mnemonics. They clearly outlined little memory aids as well as favourite MCAT topics.

The PR course I liked for its depth and quality of instruction. Their material was vast, they provided all of the testing materials in books that you could use at home, and the level of testing material seemed to be a fair bit more difficult than that offered when I took the Kaplan course. (Again, Kaplan may have since changed this.)

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Kaplan hasn't changed. You still have to sign everything out and write w/blue marker over the grungy answer sheet. I hated that part too!

Kaplan's review books and full length practice exams are good. I liked the full length exams just because they forced you to sit in a room for hours and write. If I were to advise a friend on what to do, I would tell them to buy Kaplan's material and the AAMC tests (invaluable). Kaplan's classes were useless--many of my teachers were barely out of their third year.

I felt the more recent AAMC exams were great! Way more like the real MCAT than Kaplan's exams.

You might be thinking "how will I get my writing sample graded w/out going to Kaplan". Well, it probably depends on the testing centre, but at my centre I only got back 2/5 writing samples with extremely minimal comments. Absolutely not worth the $1000 + $300 for the test itself!

• 2 weeks later...

I took TPR's course this summer and ended up with an 11V/13B/14P/R WS. My instructor was great, but I personally learn best from books. The Princeton Review provides you with amazing review materials; in fact, so many that I didn't even have time to go through them all. The 5 diagnostic tests, including AAMC's official practice tests IV and V, were very helpful as well in tracking my progress. The only thing is that the course is VERY pricey, $1200 + tax to be exact, even including the discounts. I'm not saying you need the TPR course to do well. However, it would definitely be in your best interest to at least get the best review books you can find. You can buy a Princeton Review publication by Flowers and Silver in most bookstores that is supposed to be a comprehensive MCAT review that also includes some practice tests. Doing that and ordering AAMC IV and V (the two most indicative practice tests available) would probably cost about $250-$300 or so in total. This should make you well prepared if you stay focused and put in the effort that's necessary.

hi jss02,

did the princeton review a lot of short practice passages for each section (i.e. similar to the topical tests of kaplan) or did they only have the aamce and the few diagnostic test...I believe kaplan has topical test, 5 full length exams , and the five aamce tests...I just wanted to know if TPR gave you that too...

The Science Workbook and In-Class Compendium had more passages that I had time to finish on basically any topic in physical or biological sciences. The verbal workbook has 72 practice passages. But TPR never gave us "orgo tests" or "physiology tests", if that's what you mean... Test-wise, there was a full length diagnostic just before the first class. Then there were 4 more every 2-3 weeks, including AAMC IV and AAMC V. There was also this book we got that had 4 full practice tests to do at home, and could even ask for extra exams to do if we wanted...

Jeff - great job! Congrats on your score!! Good luck with your applications :)

I just wanted to add: how did your scores compare to how you did on AAMC V? Thanks :)

I took the Kaplan course this summer and I found that the practice tests that were administered prepared me for the length and style of the real MCAT.

As for the classroom sessions, I didn't really get much out of them.

If you're the type of person who doesn't need a kick in the butt to start studying, then I would suggest just buying the Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT book (the $80 one...it's identical to the subject books that we received, but in a tidy and convenient format) and the more recent AAMC tests (III, IV, V). I needed a poke here and there, so I decided to take the course :) But if I need to take the MCAT again (eep!), I don't think I'll be taking another course.

As for the Princeton Review, a few classmates of mine took it and reported that it was extremely helpful. While more expensive than Kaplan, the classes in Ottawa were extremely small - only 8 people were enrolled! Each student managed to get quite a bit of personal attention. They also echoed some of the comments already mentioned here about the material being more challenging than what was on the August MCAT.

Good luck!

fc or anyone!:

you mentioned that you can buy Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT book which is very similar to the books from the course. I'm wondering if there are princeton review books for purchase similar to the books from the course. I already have all the kaplan material (from a friend who took kaplan last year) but i feel that i need more practice material. any suggestions?

congrats to all who wrote the mcat in aug...your scores sounds awesome...any advice?

As I said earlier, I don't think The Princeton Review lets you buy their course materials without actually taking a course. However, they do have a pretty good (from what I hear) review book for sale in stores by Flowers and Silver, which has all the science you need, plus some practice tests. If you learn better on your own rather than with a teacher, just getting this book as well as some AAMC practice tests (IV and V) should be fine....

• 3 months later...
Guest Victoria

Having been away from university (and biochem, physics, etc etc.) for 10 years, I need some help. The books are great (have a couple, and practice tests...but I am think a class might help me get into the routine a bit better come MaY) I have started preparing for the August Mcat, but it's bit tough....maybe the discipline of going to a class will help.

I'm trying to decide between a Kaplan and Princeton Review course.

From the posts above I'm leaning toward Princeton...but it's seemslike 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Any thoughts or opinions on your preferences, endorsements of one over the other?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Victoria,

I think I've posted on this before, and there may be more factors involved when weighing which course may be better for you, but after going through both (Kaplan in 2000; Princeton in 2001), my vote is towards Princeton. In short, (and these are all, obviously, personal opinions) I found Princeton's material extensive enough and comparable to MCAT-difficulty questions, their teachers seemed to be of higher quality, and you were not required to study in their offices, given that Princeton provide you with all the MCAT materials to take home (with Kaplan we had to go to the test centre to sign out and complete tests, etc.).

Although, overall, I would select Princeton over Kaplan, Kaplan does have some great points too, e.g., their flashcards (which I used to study for both iterations of the exam) and the mnemonics that pepper their books.

(The caveat here is that you should check with both courses to see if they have changed their formats, etc., since I don't know if my experience is consistent with how both companies run their courses now.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Victoria

JSSO2,

When you take a Princeton Review course, am I understanding you correctly that the aamc IV &V are included? I am considering taking a course, but until then, I am studying and preparing on my own....

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again Victoria,

Yes (and sorry to butt in!), for the PR course that I took they provided us with AAMC IV and V. Mind you, they also provided us with a host of other full-length exams which were of equal or greater difficulty.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...

I was able to take TPR course for my '99 MCAT and as I've said in previous posts, I would recommend TPR course to people that want to part with $1300 because I did find that the material they provided was more than sufficient for me. As stated before they give you lots of practice MCATs including the AAMC IV and V. Personally I found that the last couple of mock MCATs we did before the real one, turned out to be tougher than the MCAT in Aug '99 but that's just my feeling about it. However, if you don't want to spend all that money, I would also recommend you borrow or buy off the TPR material from a friend who has taken the course and go through it. Anyway, good luck to all of you writing the MCAT this year.

Cheers!

Archived