Premed 101 Forums

Audio tapes

Guest pcskribe

Guest pcskribe

Hi,

I am trying to get back on the pre-med track. been out of school for about 2 years and wanted to know if there were any audio MCAT tapes anyone would recommend.

Guest Ian Wong

I'm going to move this to the MCAT forum. To be honest, I don't think that audio materials would be anywhere near as useful as either simply teaching yourself via review books/practice questions, or doing a review course where you can actually interact with others.

Audio materials don't strike me as being too great simply because I don't think you can fit as much material into them as you could into, say, a textbook, nor does it have interactive flexibility where you could ask someelse else questions to clarify any confusing points.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Yeah, I don't think audio tapes would work very well. Since you said you've been out of school for 2 years, I just wanted to ask if you've taken organic and all the first year science courses. Other courses like physiology help a lot and some people say biochem does, but my MCAT form didn't have any biochem (and I hadn't taken the course yet).

If you have money to burn (around $1200 I think), you could take one of the prep courses for the MCAT if you think that would help you study better, since you've been out of school for a while.

Otherwise, you could do what I did, and just get some good review books (I bought some Princeton Review materials off of ebay) and the AAMC practice tests (III - V for sure).

Good luck!! :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Re: the audio tapes, there was at least one set out there. Dr. Ferdinand (the Black Book of Cdn. Medical Schools guy) put out a few which I managed to track down a couple of years ago. Although I didn't rely on them for my MCAT core material, (for some of the reasons stated above), they came in handy for listening to in the car during the 30-40 minute trek to the office.

If you're interested in them, send me a wee e-note as I'd be happy to pass them on.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived