Premed 101 Forums

organic for the mcat

Guest noname

i was wondering is the bio section on the mcat more organic or biochem... i know someone who took biochem and didn't have organic (got special permission) and wrote the mcat... i was told that the bs focused more on organic the biochem

Guest brandonite

The MCAT is all organic. You don't have to know any biochem to do well on it. I suppose some biochem MIGHT help, but it's completely not needed. I took the MCATs without any biochem, just organic, and I scored a 12 on that section.

Guest missing Manitoba

I took biochem before writing but didn't use it much at all. The focal point of the chemistry in the bio section is definitely organic.

You can actually take the MCAT without any specific courses; a lot of people take organic ahead of time because it's not a fun subject to self-teach.

Guest ThugJaan

Yeah,

The exam has orgo on it and not really any hardcore biochem. Since the MCAT is tradionally written after 2nd yr, most people cover orgo by then.

However, if you wanna be a total keener and take orgo over the summer, you could write the April MCAT during your 2nd yr.

Archived