Premed 101 Forums

wondering....

Guest mcatter

Guest mcatter

im a student at the u of s.....and at the med school here they do not use the mcat for competitive reasons (i.e. its only a flagpole, if you get the minumum 8 on all sections and an N, then you are in the "looked at" pool). The MCAT scores are no longer looked at after that, they more or less throw them out. Its only your avg. that counts then. Is it like this for any other schools that anyone knows about??or is it just the u of s??

also, has anyone recieved there mcat scores???this waiting is killing me, i just wanna know. Pass, fail, i just wanna know.....so i can get a decent night's sleep for once.....the last 2 weeks....i havent been able to sleep...im a warry wart...this suspense is too much....ha....pretty melodramatic

Guest Ian Wong

At UBC, it's also a flag. If I remember correctly you are allowed one 7 and two 8's, and an M on your Written Sample.

Other Canadian med schools weight the MCAT differently. For example, the Ontario med schools (excepting Mac and U of O) have much more stringent cutoffs than described above for UBC. To obtain the most current cutoffs/evaluation schemes, you should contact the med schools directly.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Here are the Ontario requirements:

Western - 8 in each section (P in writing) AND total of 18 in BS and PS and total of 21 in VR and WS (in writing, a T=14, S=13, etc.). Only the verbal and writing are weighed into the decision, so for the sciences, you just have to make the cutoffs.

Queen's - 10 in verbal, 9 in sciences, N writing, and a total of 30.

Toronto - 8 in each section, N in writing. You can get one (and only) 7 OR an M, but they might be pickier with the rest of the app.

Ottawa/Mac- no MCAT requirements.

Guest Ian Wong

Dr. Bates says that it's a flag. There is at least one person in my class who was accepted with a 23M, the lowest MCAT score that meets the cut-offs. However, other Canadian med schools don't take such a relaxed attitude towards the MCAT, so getting the highest score you can never hurts, and may benefit you when you apply to other med schools.

My own thoughts are that the MCAT must make at least a little bit of a difference in your application, but if you look at the MCAT scores for accepted and rejected UBC applicants, they are nearly the same. Therefore, the MCAT scores wouldn't have been the major criteria leading to those people's rejections.

www.premed101.com/stats.html#MCAT

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived