Premed 101 Forums

what would you do?

Guest zp

I made the waiting list of 27 people at my first choice school. I am ranked in the lower top half.(11) The correspondence I received said that in recent years 15 to 20 people from the waiting list were offered positions. Which should mean good things for my situation!? The letter continued to say that there are no guarentees, of course, from year to year how many offers would be made to the waiting list. Last year I've heard indirectly that 19 offers were made.

My question is.... Should I write the MCAT in August? The thought of needlessly studying all summer to rewrite the MCAT is almost unbearable. Especially if I actually get accepted to med school. I would end up studying straight to next May. Yuk!

What would you guys do?

The school I hope to attend is Manitoba because I want to stay here both for my education and career. (family reasons) My MCAT was 25R. This MCAT is a little low but it is almost acceptable (right on the border for admitance anyway) for a manitoba resident. In Manitoba the personal assessment score is as follows. MCAT 50%, Interview 40%, and AGPA 10% (mine was 3.76). I am what I would consider a mature student and have a really good work/volunteer/life experience history.(all graded throught the interview assessment score).

What do you think?

Guest YongQ

I'm not sure whether you fall into the "regular" or "special consideration" category. If you're in the former and you're sure you can better your MCAT score for August (remember you only have a month left to study!), I think you should retake it since the MCAT is worth 1/2 of your final assessment.

If you're in the special consideration category (I think you need to be out of school doing healthcare-related work for >= 2 years or meet one of the other criteria), it's a tough call, but if you have many other merits and meet their minimum 7 on any subsection cutoff, I think it'd be just as OK to wait it out. As a special consideration applicant your scores aren't evaluated the same way (I'm not sure exactly HOW they evaulate you, but they look at each app separately).

Whatever you do, good luck with the waitlist, keep your fingers crossed.

Guest strider2004

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Study for the exam and skip writing it if you get accepted beforehand. Heck, write the exam and tell fairy tales in the writing section, just for kicks. Maybe you'll get a T.

Guest Ian Wong

Write the exam. From what you've written above (I assume that I've already replied to your email), I think your chances are on the good side to get an acceptance letter. However, I think it's a bit dangerous to not have your backup plan ready, which is to write the MCAT.

As it stands right now, your application is teetering on the edge of an acceptance. If you are fairly certain that you can improve on your MCAT mark after a re-write (even at this time in the summer), then I think an improvement here might be enough to clinch your application the following year, especially with the extremely high weight that U of M gives the MCAT.

Then, if you get in, do what Strider suggests. Have some fun in the MCAT room. Heck, I say try filling out the bubble sheet trying to generate as many recognisable words as possible: caca, acdc, bade, (there's a start). Or perhaps do what all of us have wanted to do at some point, and fill in "C" for every answer. :)

Good luck, and I hope you get a good notification sooner rather than later!

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Well I guess I'll just have to swallow my lumps and spend the rest of what seams like an eternity studying for the August MCAT. It serves me right for having such a good time in my first two years of university. You've all just confirmed what I know I should be doing anyway. It's obvious what I was hoping to hear but I thank you for the advice I needed to hear.

Wish me luck. I think I'll choose all A's for every answer. They tend to work for me better.

Thanx again.

zp

Guest YongQ

Better safe than sorry...

Hey, just for kicks, when I took the Ap Physics B exam a few years back, I wrote a standardized test joke and a funny comic that made no sense as my answer to the last question. And I got a 5! But I wouldn't have done it if I weren't sure I'd already gotten a lot of the other questions, and the cutoff for 5 was really low at that time.

Archived