Premed 101 Forums

electives experience?

Guest chatterbox

Guest chatterbox

hello ...

i was just wondering how many ppl out there have had not-so-great electives experiences? i'm currently on my first elective and am finding that i spend a lot of time either standing around watching ppl discuss pts (no attempts to include me at all) or am sent to do scut by the fellow that i have to answer to. not even halfway thru yet. any similar experiences out there and any advice for someone feeling totally fed up?

thanks

Guest summervirus

I think that most students find that clerkship has ups and downs. Regardless of whether it's a core rotation or elective, there are good times and bad times. I know how you feel though. The summer between preclerkship and clerkship, I did an elective that made me really regret signing up. I really think that the attending physician at that time disliked me with a passion. He seriously made me cry! Anyway, the point of the story is that I don't think you're unique. Other students go through it too. In some ways, I think that feeling bad during electives is worse than during core rotations because you actually chose to be there. :\ But, on the bright side, at least when you're on an elective, you can't technically fail -- which is better than a core rotation! :|

On the bright side, things will pick up! :) Although I've had down-times, I've also had really enjoyable and pleasant experiences as a clerk! I've always been comforted when I hear from my friends and classmates about similar experiences they've had... because it doesn't make me feel singled-out!

Guest Valani9

I think you're definitely not alone. In my experience, sometimes clerkship is amazing - but there are definitely times when I wonder why I'm even there.

To me, it seems to be almost entirely about who the attending staff is. If the doc is a conscientious teacher, she/he will make a point of including you, and making sure that you're learning. In those situations, I find every day to be a great experience.

But if the doc doesn't care about teaching, then you're just a tool to them - a worker, who is but one of many underlings whose sole purpose is to perform menial tasks. I sometimes wonder if those docs even know what my name is.

So - Maybe wait to see what happens when there's a changeover in staff. Maybe the next one will do his/her job properly.

I hope it picks up. Cheers.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

So for those of you who have begun or been through clerkship already, how about some tips for the dreaded times when it is a bit slower. Any good ideas on what to do aside from assailing the nurses, residents and attendings for ideas? I don't know about you guys, but I love those days that are super-busy and dread the opposite.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust
I don't know about you guys, but I love those days that are super-busy and dread the opposite.

True, being busy does make the time go by MUCH quicker. There is nothing that makes a 12-15 hour (or more) stint drag on than too much downtime.

But, being an admitted slacker, I don't mind times when it seems there is not much to do. Admittedly, this has not happened as often as I would like :)

Guest chatterbox

hi all,

thank you for your words of encouragement! it does make me feel better to hear that others have had similar experiences, as unfortunate as it is. i totally agree it depends on the attending, as i have had attendings who make a point to teach -- which is fantastic. well -- there's a changeover in staff next week so my fingers are crossed that things will indeed improve.

thanks again :)

chatterbox

Archived