Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia elective

Guest moo

I'll be at UBC for a gas elective June 20-July 15 2005. Anyone know what to expect? I will literally be coming off an easy month for me in primary care/family med at my home institution so hopefully I won't be burned out. I will have finished all my cores (peds, ob/gyn, medicine, surgery, neuro, psych, FP). What are expectations for a visiting student? Anything I should read up on before starting? What's the schedule like? Do we rotate through different subspecialties of anesthesia (obstetrics, peds, ICU, pain management) or just do general?

Guest medicator007

Hey Moo,

I just did an Anes elective this past summer at McGill, it was a very relaxing and rather enjoyable summer here are my comments/tips:

1) Days usually started at about 30 minutes before the first scheduled OR case, varies from place to place. Most of the time I was leaving the hospital by 15h30 or so, unless we had a case run late or I was on call.

2) Most days I was in the OR, or covering the case room... I had the option to do pain clinic or neuroanaesthesia, but chose not to.

3) In terms of expectations, they weren't all that high. They don't expect you to be anesthetist and know EVERY little detail... I got lots of good teaching and MANY opportunities to practice techniques in the OR (IVS, art lines, spinal and other nerve blocks, intubations, central lines...etc). The most fundamental skill that I wqas expected to have down pat was the pre-op assessment which i usually ended up doing on my own in the morning.

4) Reading wise, I found the NMS anaesthesiology clinical manual by Randall Glidden (ISBN: 0-7187-3738-9) to be VERY helpful. Covers ALL the major areas of ANES, including the subspecialties very well. Enough to know what you're talking about but explained very simply. It's about 20$ or so....

Lemme know if there is anything else i can try to answer for you.

Guest medicator007

No worries dude,

I was considering anes as a field before my elective. While I really did learn a lot and had a great time during the month. I don't think that it is something I would want to do for the rest of my career... but right now, who knows?

Medicator

• 4 weeks later...

So I changed my dates to Aug 2-26 for my elective. Now this other guy also emailed me about doing research for him. I'm interested in this, but would probably only be able to devote two months max to this, as I don't really want to take a year off (because of loans) and I likely would not get credit for this as my school requires three months of research electives to equal a month of clinical electives. Is this worth doing? Anyone done research in anesthesia can comment?

• 7 months later...

Archived