Premed 101 Forums

Canadian ObGyn electives??

Guest SilkTree

Guest SilkTree

I am trying to schedule some elective in ObGyn this year. My schedule permits roughly 5 - 6 weeks. I am thinking of doing 3 weeks in one program and 2 at another. Can anyone recommend good programs/preceptors?

I have had difficulty so far in contacting U of C, UBC, U of O, and Dalhousie. Is this normal? I have e-mailed and called each school atleast twice in the last 4 weeks.

Thanks,

ST

You can try UWO... UWO has a good ob/gyn program with a fairly heavy 'surgical slant' to it.

Check out the application procedures here:

www.uwo.ca/obsgyn/electivesframed.htm

At UWO, you will get the preceptor they match you to... there is no 'picking' to be done.

Also, I am not sure what year you are in, but generally UWO likes 3rd/4th year (senior) elective students.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest macmed04

Hi,

I did an elective in MFM at U of T for two weeks, and one at Ottawa for 2 weeks (1 week L&D, 1 week MFM). I can't remember who it was that I contacted at each site, but I know that I was "bad" and always tried to get in touch with a staff doc via email to see if they were free to take an elective student for x weeks, and then they'd usually let the program coordinator know I wanted to come. I think Mac used to get pretty huffy about people circumventing the system that way though...

You could maybe check out the department web sites at the different schools you're interested in and see who is listed as the clerkship coordinator. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

I enjoyed my experiences at both schools, but didn't find that I got to know any one staff person particularly well, as there were always different people covering L&D and clinics. There didn't seem to be much picking of preceptors available. I also did one community Ob/Gyn elective in Oakville that I enjoyed.

Macmed04

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm looking into ObGyn electives for next year. Can anyone comment on what clerks are allowed to do at various schools? ie/ do you need your orders co-signed? can you deliver with forceps? etc. Also, could anyone comment on Oand G electives you really enjoyed or disliked? Thanks! :D

Guest UWOMED2005

My 6 week Obs/gyn rotation in Windsor (an elective option through UWO) was fantastic for delivery experience.

I delivered 15-20 babies (I lost exact count.) My roommate delivered close to 50 when he was there (it was only him vs. myself and another clerk when I did Obs/gyn.)

A good number of C-sections. You'll be 3rd assist for those.

Gyne surgery was pretty good. . . lots of chance for hands-on, though all the complicated stuff gets sent to London.

I don't think it was the greatest gyne clinic experience. . . but if you want delivery experience, Windsor is great.

Guest endingsoon

I did mine at a community hospital in the GTA for 6 weeks. I probably delivered about 20-30 babies my myself, and probably assisted in another 10 or so when I was just starting out. Also did some c-sections and some gyne ORs and clinics. A good experience, we had some elective students (I think she was from Western) who were alos working there.

Guest therealcrackers

Forceps? No. Residents get the chance to learn, not clerks, and only at certain centres (Toronto uses vacuum, for example).

Guest endingsoon
Forceps? No. Residents get the chance to learn, not clerks, and only at certain centres (Toronto uses vacuum, for example).

Thats a little untrue...in the hospital I worked at they used forceps. Still, I think it would be hard for them to entrust this task to a medical student as it does require some skill. Its not like suturing up a leg or something.

• 3 months later...

Archived