Premed 101 Forums

Thank-you card/gift?

Guest SilkTree

Guest SilkTree

hello,

has anyone out there given their preceptor a thank you gift or card at the end of a rotation? is this generally looked upon positively?

i plan on asking the same preceptor for a reference letter, so i don't want them to think i'm sucking up... i just really enjoyed the rotation and it cemeted for me which specialty i will try for.

if anyone has any thoughts/experiences, please share..

ST

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

I am not a clerk, but I think that is very transparent. I might consider sending a thank you email to someone who was helpful during an elective, but I think people are intelligent enough to see through any card/gift.

Just my opinion, but hey, maybe I won't match..;)

CC

I don't think a gift is appropriate, or even any type of gushy thank you card. However, I also think that you should be able to show your appreciation for someone that has really helped you. I am not a clerk yet either, but I think when I find myself in that situation I would go for a simple card with a blank inside where I could write a short note about how much I appreciated their help and why. I know it means alot to me when people take the time to say thank you.

Guest DrSahsi

I agree that a gift would be over the top, and may potentially be refused. If you're going to offer a thank you card, keep in simple and make sure it's sincere. If you're doing it to keep up appearances (not that I'm accusing you of this), you'll probably shoot yourself in the foot more than anything else.

If there's any doubt about how your card might be received, don't do it. Just my two cents.

- Rupinder

Guest Sarah371

I sent thank-you cards but only after the evaluation of my elective was in. Just two or three lines stating thank-you for your time....I enjoyed meeting you etc. But Dr. Sashi is right don't be too effusive or gushy and get yourself some plain little note cards...not big flashy cards.

SARAH

Guest McMastergirl

I think a card would be a nice gesture, and I wish I had done that kind of thing more often. I agree with the above stated suggestions that it should not be overstated, and that it should be done after evaluations are in to be safe!

We need to remind our preceptor that their time is appreciated. The monetary renumeration for teaching in medicine is meager to non-existant, so we need to make sure they keep doing it.

Another idea is to write a brief letter to the head of the department regarding an appreciated preceptor. I've heard that student evaluations are important in tenure decisions and the like.

• 9 months later...

Archived