Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship written exam

Guest GraduateStud

Guest GraduateStud

Hi Everyone,

I got some bad news and I need some advice and encouragement, so I'm posting on this site looking for either. I found out that I didn't pass the written component of my peds rotation but passed the clinical and the OSCE. My overall mark is also above 60%. So I'm wondering whats going to happen. Will I be kicked out of med school, have to repeat the rotation or write the written exam over again. I can't tell you how depressing this is. I've never failed anything before. I feel a fresh se of tears coming on so...:(

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I have little idea given that I've never been through this, but I'd imagine that those sorts of policies would be school-specific? :rolleyes Have you tried searching your school's Student Affairs site for some information?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

I doubt that you would be kicked out of med school for failing a single exam... I suggest that you talk to the undergrad co-ordinator for pediatrics at your school, the co-ordinator of your clerkship year and/or your Dean of student affairs... Have faith...you may have to do some supplemental work, but I think that it is pretty unlikely that they are going to try to kick you out!

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

Your Dean of Student Affairs, or the individual responsible for the clinical clerkship component of your med school are the two people you want to talk to. Failing a written exam, while not exactly common, is going to happen from time to time. Rest assured that you're not alone out there; many practising physicians have probably failed a med school course or two, and still ended up getting into good residencies and becoming good doctors.

Anyway, each school has a different set of policies. Some schools may want you to write a supplemental exam, but might set the pass/fail threshold a little higher (ie. now you need to make a 65% or 70% to pass). Others may require you to re-do the rotation during one of your elective months (so you lose some of your elective time). I don't think any would kick you out of med school, unless you had a significant prior record of academic difficulties.

You probably want to go and talk with your Dean of Student Affairs to find out whether this failure will be noted anywhere on either your med school transcript, or your Dean's Letter, and if it is, see if there's any conditions under which you might be able to get it removed from there.

Finally, on your repeat exam, it's really important to figure out why you didn't do so hot on this exam, and address those deficiencies so you pass the second time around. Maybe you didn't hit the books hard enough, or didn't do enough practice/shelf questions, or maybe you had some outside distractors that kept you from focussing on your studying. In any case, you want to make sure those issues don't hold you back the second time.

Best of luck! :)

Ian

Guest GraduateStud

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. I have a meeting on Monday where I'll find out more about what to do to fix this fine mess.

On another note, I need to concentrate on my upcoming internal medicine exam. I need suggestions on good review texts and or other ways of preparing for the exam. I'm strugling right now with trying to figure out how best to master the info for the exam. Thanks again for all the advice and help

Guest UWOMED2005

I like to study from the MCCQE. Internal medicine is tough to study for because you can pretty much study ANYTHING.

Focus on the core stuff and you should be fine.

• 1 year later...
Guest Ian Wong

Floating back to the top... A lot of these threads appear to be pretty decimated after the June 2005 hacking attack on EZBoard. Still, I've restored these threads so if you have a similar question, you can reply to these threads and hopefully someone will answer you!

Ian

Archived