Premed 101 Forums

Application to College of Physicians and Surgeons

Guest sehender

Guest sehender

Hi Guys,

I did not see that we had to send a picture in with our application to the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Joy Bennett has emailed me to tell me that I need to get her a picture asap but she didn't tell me what size the picture should be. Can any of you let me know? Does it matter? Does it need to be a passport sized photo?

Thank you!! ;)

Guest Jazz

Hi sehender,

Yeah, passport sized photo is required, I am just going to use a photo booth pic. I got emailed too, someone misplaced my photo the first time around. I actually thought my application wasn't approved when I saw the email, guess the whole thing still seems surreal :) .

Guest soapyslicer

I had my passport photo taken the day after I found out, express posted the whole lot to UBC later that same day. I have been thinking ever since that in the fog and delirium I forgot to do something. Good to know they will contact me if I have.:rollin

soapy

Guest 4EverRose

Hello,

By the way did you guys get any kind of confirmations that your forms/deposit was received by UBC? Or do they only notify you via email if you missed something?

Thanks.

Guest sehender

Hi 4EverRose,

I believe that I received the email only because I was missing some components...yeah, that's right, I missed more than just the passport sized photo...I,for some reason, assumed that they would give $20 to the Ministry of Finance from the $300 deposit that we gave them...I guess not! So, I went out and got the official money-order today. I also didn't realize that we were supposed to make a photocopy of the criminal record check...Oh well, I'll make a trip to UBC tomorrow and then everything will be sorted out!! :b

I would recommend that you call or email them if you are unsure of whether or not your package made it out to them. I don't think that it would be unreasonable considering the fact that Canada Post has a tendency to lose things at times.

Guest chocolatechips

hello:

I also didn't realize that we were supposed to make a photocopy of the criminal record check

hum...I thought we only have to pay the $20 processing fee the the College will do the criminal check for us. I didn't read it anywhere in the package that we need to make a photocopy......Am I missing something??

Guest Kels2004

Hi there chocolatechips,

In the covering letter, somewhere it asked for 2 copies of the criminal record check to be sent to UBC (I don't have the letter in front of me).

Anyways, I am sure UBC will make a copy for you!

This money order was such a hassle - I'm in the UK and had to ask my mother-in-law to pick one up and mail it off! :P

Guest 4EverRose

Hi sehender,

Thanks for your info. I actually hand-delivered my forms/deposits . However, it is just that I haven't seen my $300 withdrawal transaction happened so I am just wondering. Perhaps like what you said I can just contact them to confirm my document status.

And regarding the criminal record check, I too find it a little bit confusing. From the cover letter, UBC says they need 2 copies of the criminal check forms (actually if you look at the criminal check form itself it says something like the governing body will keep the original form and then mail a copy) and also the application to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC. However, in the package, I got the reverse, in which there is 2 copies of the application to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC and 1 copy of the criminal check form. I am playing safe so I submitted 2 copies for each :)

Guest walkorbike

Hi, 4EverRose,

I wouldn't worry too much about the $300 withdrawal not showing up yet. I remember applying back in Sept and my app fee wasn't cashed until the end of Dec! I was a bit broke at the time, so that's why I was keeping my eye on it. When I asked, I was told that the office was busy with other priorities, such as inputting MCAT scores, and going to the bank was not high on the list. They must have a big old money-bag in the office that they haul to the bank three or four times a year. Congrats on your acceptance and all the best,

-walkorbike

Guest chocolatechips

oh man...now I am really confused about the criminal check stuff. I only got one copy of application to College of Physicians and Surgeons and one copy of application for criminal check. I filled both out and handed to UBC. I haven't heard anything from the office saying that I am missing stuff. but who knows....UBC is known for its inefficiency. The question I have is that do we need to go get the "result" of our criminal check and send it to UBC? I am quite confused about the whole process. :(

Guest 4EverRose

Hi chocolatechips,

Regarding the criminal record check, my understanding is you fill out the form that authorizes the College of Physicians and Surgeons to do a criminal check for you, and the college will forward this form and the $20 money order to the authority to do the actual check. Afterwards, any results will be sent by the authority to the college directly.

Guest chocolatechips

4EverRose:

Thank you so much for the clarification. I was just going to rush into the admission office and demand my forms back :P Now I know that I am not in trouble. Thanks :)

Guest 604EL

AHHH!! I had NO idea that we're suppose to include our picture... hmm... but i haven't received any emails yet... wonder what's going on. Was it specified anywhere on the application that a photo was supposed to be included?

Guest sehender

Hi 604EL,

It was not stated that we were supposed to send in a picture on the UBC acceptance letter. Apparently it was stated on the Application form to the College of Physicians and Surgeons. I am guessing that you will receive an email from UBC soon...

Guest physiology

Okay in summary:

1) Application to college WITH a stapled passport sized photo

2) 2 criminal record checks (only ONE received in package, but you have to photocopy for the second copy)

3) $20 bank draft payable to the Minister of Finance attached to the COPY of the crim records check

4) Response form (checked off "I will be accepting") and signature/date at the bottom - TWO copies were in the package, but it was highlighted at the bottom that one was for the applicant's records

Did I miss anything else?

Guest sehender

You've summed it up well physiology.

You did miss the $300 deposit though. That would be rather important. :rollin

Archived