Premed 101 Forums

Do I even have a chance with low pre-req

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I just done my first year in UBC, and only got 74% average on the "pre-req" courses so far for UBC medicine admission. I know UBC med doesn't look too hard upon on first year courses in general. But do they look hard upon 1st yr pre-req courses?? (ie bio 121, english 112, and etc..) Thanx!

Guest physiology

Hello Smooth Opl,

As far as I know, UBC gives consideration to higher level courses (ie 3rd and 4th year level) but it does not quantify this statement.

As such, ALL of your grades are important. So far, from this board, I have heard that the pre-req GPA is considered during the final adcom meeting. The overall average and last 60 credits are considered in determining interview eligibility.

There is no direct answer to your question. The first year pre-reqs are just factored into the pre-req average.

Guest davidubc

Hey,

I got in with a 70% for my pre-req's so there are no hard and fast rules to what you really need. It's all just a big balancing act between all the variable that they look at.

Guest Miller

Hey Smooth operator,

Just to let you know; I got a very poor grade in one of my easy first year pre-req classes (71% to tell the truth). I was so #^@%ing pissed off at myself that I nail every other pre-req and brought my average way up, well above the average. So your 74% could actually be a good thing. GET MADE!! And then get even!! You've got two years of heavy classes to go so work your ass off and get a few 90%. Biochem and organic are not that scary, just don't think you can cram for the exams like you could with first year bio.

GO FOR IT!

Guest vhung

I don't have a percent, but I do remember that I got a C in my first year English class. I know I didn't get accepted yet, but at least I didn't get rejected either, so there is still some hope even if your prereqs are anything less than stellar.

Guest northpole

Hey there Smooth Operator,

Just to give you a boost of confidence-- I got accepted to UBC this year (second time applying) and for organic chem. (a pre-req at UBC) I got a C in first term and a B in second term! I took my biology courses maaaaannny years ago and got something like a C+ and a B in those.

So don't let those marks get you down! I think UBC is really good about looking at your other experiences-- it's not just about the 4.0 GPA (although I'm sure that helps).

Good luck! :)

Guest smooth operater

well, i got 68% which is B- in Bio 121, that really hurts my confidence, but after hearing you guys, I feel much better now! :D

Guest threeputt

I got Bs in both English courses and Bio 120 (or whatever it is, now). I proceeded to kick myself in the ass and got 90s in Orgo, Biochem, Physics etc. and improved year after year. You have lots of time left to pull up that GPA, and I'm quite sure UBC looks very favorably on gradual improvement - I guess it shows maturity and motivation or something :b

Guest Miller

Threeputt, I did almost the same thing as you. Except I didn't do as well in Physics>:

It's true that they like to see improvement and that you do well in higher levels. I mean who really cares what you get in first year biology if you get an A+ in 3rd year biochem.

Guest coastal79

I'm the ultimate for screwing up UBC's prereqs! My lowest mark was from first year english, a B (class participation, not so good cause I argued with the teacher constantly). By third year I settled on an English major, and proceeded to get A's and A-'s in my English courses! What can you do?;)

Guest shoopshoop

UBC calculates 3 GPA's so if one looks bad you still have the other ones left to compensate (at least this is what they told me):

1) Overall GPA - includes all credits taken at the university or university-transfer level

2) Last 60 credits GPA: includes courses completed in your most recent 60 attempted credits (roughly equivalent to two years of full-time study at a

Canadian post-secondary institution)

3) Prerequisite GPA: includes only those courses that are equivalent to our prerequisites as outlined on our website

Hope this helps!

Guest McCarey007

As a general rule of thumb, if you do poorly (ie C+) in a certain course, it is a good idea to do well (ie A or better) in a corresponding upper level course.

Having said that trends are important. It's much better to have a rocky start than a rocky end to your academic life. The latter can be med school suicide.

Just don't get too caught up with marks. Don't get me wrong, strong marks defintiely make it easier to get into med school. But don't forget what med is all about...serving communities and their people. Do some volunteer work during your studies.:)

Archived