Premed 101 Forums

The Unbearable Wait

Guest Braveheart

i dunno about this MCAT writing sample part being evaluated post interview.

I did pretty poorly on mine, and remember at the interview info sessions seeing that it was previously considered and was not going to be yet added to my "mark" - i think it was part of the slide show prior to the movie. I was very relieved, and don't think it was a figment of my imagination.

Guest Braveheart

Well, it's Thurs and I keep thinking that it is Fri (seems like everyday this week is a Fri actually). But to answer a previous question I too was interviewed in Feb and am in province.

I am a little worried about the writing section on my MCAT as well... hopefully that won't be the thing that holds me back.

But you're all right, if it was meant to be, it was meant to be... but still we all hope it is going to be meant to be.

Hopefully it out for all of us and we can all get together and reminisce about our premed stress (PMS) in person during the Fall.

Best of Luck. Let us all know the good news when you all hear from the Admissions Committee.

MDmmmsure: hopefully you won't need to re-write the MCAT... urrgh... but if you do, good luck on it!

Guest MDmmmsure

I don't quite understand what you mean.......I think what you are saying is that the writing sample was part of the pre-interview evaluation......however, if you are saying that the writing sample is not even being considered (ie-added to your mark), then I believe that is wrong.....as far as I know, the writing sample is worth 5% of your overall application.......I believe that the way the class is determined is that the top 125 marks out of 100 will get in....that is, each student is given a raw score out of 100 (with 3 added for PhD and 1 added for masters)....therefore, the writing sample, regardless of when it is used, will still count for 5 points out of 100 for your "mark", and thus effect your final ranking on the list....

however,it could also be that only a few sections are looked at post interview.....for instance, perhaps after interviews, only interview, reference letters, and pre-reqs are looked at.....giving a total raw score out of 55...and the top 125 marks out of 55 will be given acceptance....however, in all likelihood, the total score out of 100 is used is that this mark will reflect the applicant in his/her entirety....

Guest MDmmmsure

Thanks Braveheart.....I'm already at peace with the possibility of having to re-write.....I feel better knowing that I didn't study nearly as hard as I could (and should) of, and was still able to manage a decent mark (don't get me wrong, I did study hard, but not enough, especially for VR)......plus I had family reunion the week before the test in BC (yeah...didn't get too much done there)......in any event, I think I can do better....really, all I need to do is improve the VR (8):eek ....in any event...it would be nice if I didn't have to....but I won't be jumping from any bridges if I do have to write it again....

nby: that's what I thought you meant....I'm sure you will be fine...good luck

and good luck to all

Joe

Guest MDmmmsure

Yeah.....born and raised.....

four years at UofA (honors Immunology and Infection)....

currently couped up in a research lab in Heritage Medical via AHFMR.......

man it looks nice outside....perhaps I should go back to scaffolding....then at least I would get some fresh air.....:o

Joe

Guest MedAnxiety

sorry if I asked like 100x MD

i'm just kinda... scattered brain lately.

I think they use everything together and add it all up to determine the top 125. well, that's what it seems like they do, from the admissions cycle 2004/05 chain.

Again, I hope we all get in! it is possible since not everyone uses this msg board :)

Guest 0nsp

Hey MD,

I'm in the same boat. Just graduated honours physiology, have my AHFMR, and am working in HMRC all summer long.

It does look nice outside, and being cooped in here sucks. Anwyays, Im just killing time now. Here's hoping for some good news tomorrow, and good luck to everyone.

Guest Braveheart

Wow, sounds like alot of people here are already in Edm. Yeah, I visited a few weeks back, tons of construction going on there. Looks like it is going to be quite nice.

Can't wait.

Hear from you all later!

Guest scrubbed

I was at my brother's graduation all day on the 27th, waiting in vain for my cell phone to ring. I was expecting to everyone's posts about his or her sucess.

Well, I am glad I was able to see another day.

By the way, the weekend is fantastic. I'm doing a 5 km run tomorrow, which should be some fun.

If anyone wants some interesting reading, the NY Times is doing a great series on class in America.

Here's the link:

www.nytimes.com/indexes/2...ex.html?hp

Cheers!

Guest MedAnxiety

I guess i'll add my own weekend as well

It's been so HOT here in Vancovuer, that it must be breaking some record for May...but i got a nice tan outta this weather!

Then I watched Madagascar and it is definitely HIGHLY recommended. It was funnier than Shrek 2 and Incredibles COMBINED!!

Anyway....ONE more day till MONDAY!

Guest scrubbed

Hey MedAnxiety,

The weather in Vancouver is fantastic! And the run went well too! Best wishes to a fellow current Vancouverite.

Archived