Premed 101 Forums

Registration Package Update

Guest sassy101

Guest shkelo

Yeah, you're right. There are bank representatives on campus for your first day during O-week. You could probably set a LOC then.

Guest butterfly

Hi!

This is my first time posting:)

Just thought I would let everyone know that I called the UGME office today and they said that the last of the registration packages were mailed out yesterday!!!!

So check your mail guys:D

Guest Tylexia

DixielandDelight - I went to the TD bank to check out the LOCs, too. I had the same luck as you. Sounds like the RBC on Whyte Ave. is the best bet.

Another question for you guys...a number of universities have suggested getting disability insurance before starting med school. Has anyone already purchased some? I also heard a number of companies come to the university sometime during the beginning of classes with some great deals. For the 2nd year med students reading this, what did you do with regards to disability insurance?

Thanks!

When I got my LOC I had a choice of getting life insurance and disability insurance (through the bank) and they said I couldn't get disability insurance because I wasn't going to be working (I think they said full-time because I work part-time). I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but they told me I wouldn't qualify until I was being paid (ie. residency).

Guest shkelo

There is a special med student disability insurance program set up with the CMA (or is it AMA?). Representatives will come to talk to your class in early Fall. It is a pretty sweet deal since all the premiums you pay are paid back to you once you graduate from medical school (and usually applied to future insurance-related costs). They told us that one resident at U of A had a needle-stick injury a few years back and couldn't continue his program (for what ever reason). He would have received $7500/month while on disability leave, but instead got nothing!

There are two levels of coverage - one that requires a physical and one that doesn't. You must declare existing medical conditions.

Archived